VOGONS

First post, by Lyriell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I just got my hands on a Voodoo 3 2000 today, and it everything was hunky dory... but I was having some issues with Final Fantasy VIII stuttering and I thought I'd update the firmware all around... PC bios/video card etc.

I was on version 1.01 (or something) and I took a backup of my rom... but after flashing and rebooting my machine could not detect the video card.
After putting in my old video card, I went into the flash utility and attempted to write my old rom back in place, unfortunately I seem to get the following message.

'Unknown flash Eeprom manufacturer. (man. ID: 00h, Dev. ID: 00h)

I've tried every version of the flash room util I can, and I've tried using the /reset command as well with the flash tool.

Am I stuffed, is there no way to get this working again?

Reply 1 of 3, by c0burn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You may have to pull the chip and program it using an external programmer. Sounds like ti could have gone bad, and indeed a bad BIOS is a fairly common voodoo failure point - for example see https://www.youtube.com/c/vswitchzero - he has videos around troubleshooting this kind of issue.

Reply 2 of 3, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you use second PCI videocard, change the PCI slot for it and try flashing again. Or make a DOS bootable diskette with "autoexec.bat" plus flasher program and BIOS dump for blind-flashing.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 3 of 3, by technokater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recovered my bricked V3 3000 AGP by booting with a PCI card, then flashing the BIOS with the correct version. It should have created a SAVE.ROM file with the original BIOS. However, the official 3dfx tools dump the old BIOS first to SAVE.ROM (i.e. overwriting any existing file of that name), erase the BIOS and *then* check the provided ROM to flash. That's how I ended with a deleted BIOS on my V3.