VOGONS

First post, by anunnak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

I have been shadowing this forum for some time now and this is my first post here, sooo hello!

Would like to ask a question regarding the Hercules Terminator 128/3d , an S3 Trio3D card with 8 mb SDR ( i have bought 2 revisions of the card). My card that i recently bought from Ebay only sees 4 out 8 mb. I can't see any missing SMD or damage to the card and in post screen it shows 8 but in Windows only 4.

I have tested it in Win 98 SE and XP. Used the original driver for 98. Motherboard Tekram Slot 1 with BX chipset and a socket 370 with 815 and universal AGP.

I just cannot understand what is wrong. I have half of dozne S3 Trio3D with 8 mb Vram and none exibit this wierd behaviour.

Help!? 😀

Reply 2 of 14, by anunnak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! here are some pics from one of the cards.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    541.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    334.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    333.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 14, by technokater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The SEC KM416S1020CT-G10 is a 512K x16 Bit x 2 Bank SDRAM chip rated at 100 MHz. Each chip is 2 MB, 4 chips means 8 MB in total. If it isn't a hardware defect (which would be weird because usually you have artifacts or the card doesn't work at all), I suspect a software issue. Did you check if there is an option in the BIOS to limit video or PCI frame buffer memory?

Reply 5 of 14, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is usually a hardware limitation. I do have a S3 Trio3D/2X card with 8 MB but it only uses the first 4 MB for the framebuffer and the rest gets reserved for GDI and 3D stuff. This can be observed with the PowerStrip utility.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 14, by anunnak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I have attached the photos from my Tekram Slot 1 BIOS. Can someone figure out which option might affect the card?

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    Filename
    13.jpg
    File size
    273.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 12.jpg
    Filename
    12.jpg
    File size
    270.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 14, by technokater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since you are using Windows, I would disable the following options:

• System BIOS Cacheable
  • Video BIOS Cacheable
  • Video RAM Cacheable
  • Video BIOS Shadow

I don't think this is directly related but those settings are leftovers from ancient days and might cause trouble.

You do seem to have a slight overclock of the external bus active though. Ext. Clock Frequency is set to 68.5 / 103 MHz, non-OC would be 66 / 100 MHz I guess. I'm not 100 % if that's AGP or FSB setting but it does look odd. I would give it a try and lower it, because the PCI and AGP frequency are likely derived from this setting.

Reply 9 of 14, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok let me ask what I had in mind since the beginning:

anunnak wrote on 2023-11-07, 19:42:

My card that i recently bought from Ebay only sees 4 out 8 mb.

From where are you getting the information that the card only sees 4MB?

Reply 10 of 14, by anunnak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2023-11-12, 10:04:

Ok let me ask what I had in mind since the beginning:

anunnak wrote on 2023-11-07, 19:42:

My card that i recently bought from Ebay only sees 4 out 8 mb.

From where are you getting the information that the card only sees 4MB?

Aida, Astra32, HW info. 😀

Reply 14 of 14, by technokater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I couldn't find anything online about this. Since it shows up in VGA BIOS on startup, I wouldn't expect a wrong BIOS flash for example. It could still be a driver issue, that either a certain amount of memory is reserved for something else or it is the wrong driver.