VOGONS

First post, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, got this card S3 Trio64 Dataexpert Expertcolor DSP3364P PCI. Have it with empty sockets (so only 1MB memory)
https://www.vgamuseum.info/images/zaatharen/s … rtcolor_fhq.jpg
( it is the last one in the list: https://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item/357-s3-trio64 )

It is freezing in Win9x within few seconds, only hard restart help, after native win9x drivers are installed. I tried even Diamond Stealth64 drivers in list of all adapters, from Diamond multimedia vendor list... but same problem. I have two of these cards, both of them same problem , so it's not faulty card. In DOS it's working correctly, also under win9x safe mode, or in full mode with only basic PCI adapter installed (after you don't install any other drivers).

Anyone got this problem? This trio64 is very spread, so with native drivers, it needs to be very spread problem.
Any solutions?

Reply 1 of 6, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you sure the problem was caused by the graphics card?

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 6, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I am using that build / OS for testing graphic cards. Many other functioned properly. Even today, I've tested another two, Elsa TNT2 Vanta and Inno3d MX400, both worked flawlesly, without any issue. Only this Trio64 is doing it. And card itself is 100% allright, I'm sure about it.

Reply 3 of 6, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try to disable video BIOS shadow and also remove all other cards to see if it makes any difference.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 4 of 6, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
W.x. wrote on 2023-11-16, 12:35:

Anyone got this problem? This trio64 is very spread, so with native drivers, it needs to be very spread problem.
Any solutions?

Just extract the newer native WDM driver from WinMe. (either an install or CD)
I can't remember 100% but isn't the Trio64 driver that comes with Win98se just the driver from DirectX 6.1a.

Reply 5 of 6, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Riikcakirds wrote on 2023-11-17, 16:03:

I can't remember 100% but isn't the Trio64 driver that comes with Win98se just the driver from DirectX 6.1a.

I really don't know, but I've checked whole list under W98SE (manually select driver), and there was only one for S3 Trio64. Under S3 cathegory. It is combined for Trio32/Trio64.
The manufacturers like Elsa, Diamond, Orchid, have their own cathegories , but as I've said, I've tried Diamond Stealth64 from Diamond Multimedia, one for DRAM version (there is also VRAM version), and same behaviour.

Reply 6 of 6, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
W.x. wrote on 2023-11-17, 16:30:
Riikcakirds wrote on 2023-11-17, 16:03:

I really don't know, but I've checked whole list under W98SE (manually select driver), and there was only one for S3 Trio64. Under S3 cathegory. It is combined for Trio32/Trio64.
The manufacturers like Elsa, Diamond, Orchid, have their own cathegories , but as I've said, I've tried Diamond Stealth64 from Diamond Multimedia, one for DRAM version (there is also VRAM version), and same behaviour.

You might have an inf installed that is taking precedence. Install the S3 Trio, after reboot go to device manager, double click on the Trio64, go to the driver tab and then click 'Driver File Details' button. Post the list of all the files it shows and their versions.
Then uninstall the trio and manually select driver Diamond Stealth64 VRAM. Then as above list all it's files under it's 'Driver File Details' button.
Depending on the results you may have to delete an inf file(s) or directX.