VOGONS

First post, by Andry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I own two Diamond 3DFX Voodoo 1 cards. One of them lacks a component labeled L9 (no video output when switch to 3DFX mode).

20231128-115109.jpg

20231128-114132.jpg

20231128-114501.jpg

I moved it from the working card to the other and it works great too.

I'm not able to understand what kind of component is L9. I suppose it is an inductor, but my little tester detect it as 0,3 Ohm resistance.

Does someone have an idea about this component?

Thank you!

Andrea

Reply 2 of 11, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had this situation with Diamond V1. There is no schematics for it, but there is for V2 from Creative. Should be similar/same value.
Repairing Diamond Monster 3D (Voodoo 4MB) - help needed

Reply 3 of 11, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's just for filtering, for testing you can use a piece of wire and the card will work.
It looks like it's used for RAMDAC power filtering, use a ~600R@100MHz ferrite bead, 1206 package, >0.5A.

Reply 4 of 11, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sdz wrote on 2023-11-28, 19:01:

It's just for filtering, for testing you can use a piece of wire and the card will work.
It looks like it's used for RAMDAC power filtering, use a ~600R@100MHz ferrite bead, 1206 package, >0.5A.

Thank you 😀 I've been following along as well since the 3Dfx Voodoo 1 that I fixed the RAMDAC on still has terrible wobbly video output in 3D mode. It's got random inductors fitted and perhaps they're not the right specification or power output.

How did you determine the value needed?

Reply 6 of 11, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sdz wrote on 2023-11-29, 16:56:

I measured all the components on two Voodoo 2 cards, and the OG Voodoo has the same RAMDAC.

Voodoo 2 component map

Aha, I hadn't spotted that thread and seen that you have the tools and the knowledge to test these parts accurately - very cool!
I'm only using one of those atmega transistor tester boxes but it's not adequate for testing inductance at least with my current skill level. Thank you for sharing that parts information, we should be able to save many more 3Dfx cards with that info 😀

I was hoping perhaps it was in that schematic for the arcade voodoo1 but the values for the inductors aren't really stated in there from what I can tell.

Reply 7 of 11, by Andry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sdz wrote on 2023-11-28, 19:01:

Thank you very much, I'll get required components!

Reply 8 of 11, by mitchkramez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-11-29, 17:58:
Aha, I hadn't spotted that thread and seen that you have the tools and the knowledge to test these parts accurately - very cool! […]
Show full quote

I measured all the components on two Voodoo 2 cards, and the OG Voodoo has the same RAMDAC.

Voodoo 2 component map

Aha, I hadn't spotted that thread and seen that you have the tools and the knowledge to test these parts accurately - very cool!
I'm only using one of those atmega transistor tester boxes but it's not adequate for testing inductance at least with my current skill level. Thank you for sharing that parts information, we should be able to save many more 3Dfx cards with that info 😀

I was hoping perhaps it was in that schematic for the arcade voodoo1 but the values for the inductors aren't really stated in there from what I can tell.

Hello everyone! I have a Diamond Monster, that appears, costmetically almost perfect... However:

Symptom: Black screen only when 3D activated. Display goes to standby. DOS Tomb raider starts and the computer locks up and cannot ctrl+alt+delete to reboot. Glide diags do not lock up the computer, but still display black screen.

Card condition appears to be very clean, no major scratches or damaged/missing components initially visible under the microscope.

MB: GA5-smm super socket 7 (sis chipset) (i've tried both 100mhz and 66mhz fsb)
RAM: pc100 SDram
Troubleshooting so far:
- Reflowed legs of FBI and TMU
- Microscope inspection didn't reveal any obvious
- RAM chips feel fine, and based on the MOJO output, I don't think they're an issue anyway.

MOJO output appears to show everything is working fine. I've attached MOJO output from my working Orchid Righteous 3D, and the output from the non-working Diamond Monster 3D card, as well as output from the Glide Diag test00.exe that appears to show it's working.

Mojo Output Attached:

WORKING.LOG -> Orchid Righteous 3D mojo output
NOTWORKIN.LOG -> Monster 3D mojo output
NW-TEST0.LOG -> Monster 3D mojo test output from diag test00.exe

These appear to show that the card thinks everything is ok, so i'm suspecting the switch on the card at this point, but any other ideas are appreciated since I'm pretty new to this 😀

Thanks!

Attachments

• Filename
    WORKING.LOG
    File size
    1.65 KiB
    Downloads
    3 downloads
    File comment
    Orchid Righteous 3D mojo output
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    NW-TEST0.LOG
    File size
    2.8 KiB
    Downloads
    4 downloads
    File comment
    Monster 3D mojo test output from diag test00.exe
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    NOTWRKIN.LOG
    File size
    1.65 KiB
    Downloads
    3 downloads
    File comment
    Monster 3D mojo output
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 11, by mitchkramez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mitchkramez wrote on 2024-04-05, 19:51:
Hello everyone! I have a Diamond Monster, that appears, costmetically almost perfect... However: […]
Show full quote
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-11-29, 17:58:
Aha, I hadn't spotted that thread and seen that you have the tools and the knowledge to test these parts accurately - very cool! […]
Show full quote

Voodoo 2 component map

Hello everyone! I have a Diamond Monster, that appears, costmetically almost perfect... However:

Symptom: Black screen only when 3D activated. Display goes to standby. DOS Tomb raider starts and the computer locks up and cannot ctrl+alt+delete to reboot. Glide diags do not lock up the computer, but still display black screen.

Card condition appears to be very clean, no major scratches or damaged/missing components initially visible under the microscope.

MB: GA5-smm super socket 7 (sis chipset) (i've tried both 100mhz and 66mhz fsb)
RAM: pc100 SDram
Troubleshooting so far:
- Reflowed legs of FBI and TMU
- Microscope inspection didn't reveal any obvious
- RAM chips feel fine, and based on the MOJO output, I don't think they're an issue anyway.

MOJO output appears to show everything is working fine. I've attached MOJO output from my working Orchid Righteous 3D, and the output from the non-working Diamond Monster 3D card, as well as output from the Glide Diag test00.exe that appears to show it's working.

Mojo Output Attached:

WORKING.LOG -> Orchid Righteous 3D mojo output
NOTWORKIN.LOG -> Monster 3D mojo output
NW-TEST0.LOG -> Monster 3D mojo test output from diag test00.exe

These appear to show that the card thinks everything is ok, so i'm suspecting the switch on the card at this point, but any other ideas are appreciated since I'm pretty new to this 😀

Thanks!

While reviewing the card again this evening, I noticed component L9 on the back missing! I grabbed a random filter of a similar size off another board (no idea what the value of this component is) and the card is now KIND OF working! I have repeating glitches in the textures now, not terrible, but noticeable. Time to check the TMU legs and memory chips! Any tips on this?

Reply 11 of 11, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for the updates 😀 Congrats on fixing the card!
I was thinking looking at the logs initially - "could this be an analog side issue? those logs all look the same / good"
Then you've kind of confirmed that by saying an inductor was missing. Not that I know L9 powers the analog side of the RAMDAC but maybe? Then the repair of the texture memory which was fixed with just reflowing the pins 😀
Excellent repair, thanks for sharing.