VOGONS

First post, by APT97

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, so recently I have been thinking of replacing the Geforce4 Ti 4200 8x in my P3 1ghz 440BX machine, after watching the video from Phil https://youtu.be/HRhm4aGNI3o showing that successive drivers reduce performance in several games. I think this was probably some kind of planned obsolescence on Nvidias part, to get you to go out and buy their latest card.

For this reason I'm considering replacing it with a Radeon 9500, as at least with ATI I can use the latest driver without having to worry about performance being affected (at least I think so, please correct me if i'm wrong). I know that with the Radeon you don't get Table Fog or 8-bit paletted textures but I'm not really too bothered about that. The only other thing that's important to me is VBE 3.0 support so I can use VBEhz to increase the refresh rate from 60hz when playing hi-res DOS games (I'm using a CRT).

I'd like to know what other peoples opinions are on this. Is there anything else I should think about before buying one of these cards? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

1. MSI MS-5156 430TX, PMMX 233, Matrox Millenium 1, Voodoo 1, ESS AudioDrive 1868f, 32MB RAM
  2. MSI MS-6163 440BX, P3 1ghz, Gf4 Ti 4200 8x, Voodoo 2, Sound Blaster Live, 256MB RAM
  3. Asus P8Z77V-LX, i7-3770, GTX 750 Ti, X-Fi Titanium, 8GB RAM

Reply 1 of 7, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Save your money. The point of that video is older drivers for older cards. Stick with what you have - you have one of the fastest, most compatible 9x/DOS cards, and it's a still a great value (even with prices double what they were about a year or two ago). Stick with driver version 45.23 or one/two versions back if you are still concerned. You aren't going to be upgrading drivers - one and done. Benchmark videos are informative, but they are not representative of a real-world experience. I don't think that video is using a sound card and many of those games aren't designed to run above 60-72fps as it is. For the games that can run faster you won't notice what's missing (if anything is missing). Plus throw in AA and AF, and 180fps will be a distant memory. Your 1GHz CPU is bottlenecking the 4200, too, until you apply heavy AA and/or AF or running at extreme resolutions.

If you need more performance, you're probably playing newer games and stepping up to XP and XP caliber hardware is your next move. If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, here's your excuse to spend 😁

Reply 2 of 7, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only real benefit the 9500 has is DX9.0c but I doubt you would get an amazing experience with DX9 games on a P3 1Ghz BX machine, I have a Ti 4600 in a similar rig and can tell you that the 1Ghz P3 simply cant feed the card fast enough I doubt itll handle the 9500 any better. Stick with the Ti4200 and older drivers Meatball suggests its pretty much the perfect GPU for the rig you have.

You dont need new drivers for old GPUs, that was what I took from that Video of Phils, stick to period correct drivers.

Reply 3 of 7, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last driver released for your card was in December of 2005, 18 years ago.
While Phil's theory is a sound one and very likely true, it just doesn't apply to your situation.
There will be no more driver releases for such and old piece of hardware.
Like others have said, keep the card you have, you are CPU bottlenecked anyway and you won't find a better experience than what you have already.

Last edited by Jasin Natael on 2023-12-04, 18:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Performance wise, you won't gain much. Stock Radeon 9500 is slower than Radeon 9600 Pro.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 7, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
APT97 wrote on 2023-12-03, 21:47:

....The only other thing that's important to me is VBE 3.0 support so I can use VBEhz to increase the refresh rate from 60hz when playing hi-res DOS games (I'm using a CRT).

From memory I don't think any ATI/AMD video card ever support anything above VBE2.0 (did anyone other than Nvidia support VBE3). So you would lose the ability to set refresh rates in Dos.

Reply 6 of 7, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
APT97 wrote on 2023-12-03, 21:47:

....The only other thing that's important to me is VBE 3.0 support so I can use VBEhz to increase the refresh rate from 60hz when playing hi-res DOS games (I'm using a CRT).

From memory I don't think any ATI/AMD video card ever shipped with VBE3.0, only VBE2.0 (did anyone other than Nvidia support VBE3). So you would lose the ability to set refresh rates in Dos.

Reply 7 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

did anyone other than Nvidia support VBE3

Humorously enough, late SiS GPUs (SiS 305 and newer).

From memory I don't think any ATI/AMD video card ever shipped with VBE3.0

Apparently, ATi GPUs refresh rate for VESA modes can be tweaked via BIOS flashing.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.