VOGONS

Voodoo 1 4mb and win95

Topic actions

First post, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wanted to move my voodoo 2 to the P2 for a sli setup so I decided to swap the one in the MMX system for a voodoo 1.
It's recognized, driver installed (latest ones) it warms up and the picture is shown through the loop cable going to my matrox.
Only problem? Games don't initialize the card or don't recognize it, I was thinking to manually uninstall any entry of previous GPUs but I can't find a way to do that reliably in win95.

Any help is welcome.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 1 of 37, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get TOMB3DEM and test it in pure DOS. No drivers needed as it accesses the Voodoo1 directly.

https://archive.org/download/tomb3dem/tomb3dem.zip

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 37, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is no good. It should show 3dfx spinning logo and load the game demo. I just tested one Monster 3D and works fine on LCD too.

There was a thread on Vogons about troubleshooting with logging.

Reply 4 of 37, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote on 2023-12-15, 19:21:

This is no good. It should show 3dfx spinning logo and load the game demo. I just tested one Monster 3D and works fine on LCD too.

There was a thread on Vogons about troubleshooting with logging.

For now i will try to reflash the card, God knows what crazy ass solutions i found over the years here on vogons, it might work but since the card is detected and it installs i think the BIOS should be the issue here.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 6 of 37, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks pretty weird, 2mb? Also the software part should be there.

Attachments

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 9 of 37, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I took a glance at the card, it seems like it was missing 3 caps near the ram, I took equivalent ones with a higher voltage and put them in place.
Still the same issue, still only 2 megs perceived.

Attachments

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 11 of 37, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sdz wrote on 2023-12-15, 20:25:

Try gently poking all the TMU&FBI pins and see if any are loose.

They feel perfectly soldered and look perfect too.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 13 of 37, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sdz wrote on 2023-12-15, 20:32:

Perhaps missing/cracked resistors. Some of them are quite important.

I checked, resistors seems to be all there and in good conditions too, only caps were missing but i replaced them.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 14 of 37, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More pictures

Attachments

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 15 of 37, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2MB is normal - that's 2MB for the framebuffer and 2MB for textures on the 4MB Voodoo 1 cards.

Your mojo result is 100% looking good so the communication between the PCI bus, TMU and FBI chips are each working. The RAMDAC is responding correctly since mojo will throw serious errors if it isn't - but what mojo can't tell is whether the RAMDAC's analogue side is properly powered and hooked up.
You stated in the 1st post that you're using the loop cable into your 2D card so the VGA port and VGA pass-through functionality are functioning and it's just 3d mode that's giving a black screen.

Please check the pins on the RAMDAC for anything that looks suspect: https://retronn.de/ftp/docs/pc_hardware/DACs/ICS5342.pdf
Pins 43 & 44 are the power inputs for the analogue side of the RAMDAC. You should also probably check the inductors (FBx & GFBx) dotted around the RAMDAC area to make sure none of them are cracked and that each one has 0-ohms resistance, that's pretty common for those to get broken or go missing especially since it's been stored in such a way that capacitors were broken off.

Also when testing tomb raider in dos, make sure it's not a windows dos-box and that you've fully exited to dos, or boot into command line only to run it. This could still be a driver issue.

Reply 16 of 37, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also try without the pass-through cable.

I test it like this:
Pure DOS, go to Tomb3dem directory. Type TOMB. Switch the VGA cable from 2D card to 3dfx card. Press enter to run Tomb3dem. It should show spinning logo and run the game.

Reply 17 of 37, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm the meantime here's more pictures.

Attachments

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 18 of 37, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even without loop cable I get a black screen, it's really weird because the card gets warm just right.
Just to make things clear a voodoo 2 was previously installed in the system, is it possible that dos still has some entries that conflict with the voodoo 1?

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 19 of 37, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well if it is a driver problem then you should still be able to run tomb3dem from DOS.
Going from Voodoo 2 to Voodoo 1 on my win98se test install required doing this: Uninstalling the Voodoo 2 driver, manually clearing all files in the Windows directory that match the files in the V2 driver folder, clearing all 3Dfx registry entries, helped in my case. Then the Voodoo 1 drivers could be reinstalled and they no longer caused a crash. Alternatively just reinstall Windows