VOGONS

First post, by Cypher321

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently had the good fortune of acquiring a working Radeon 9800 XT at a reasonable price. I did some research on that era of cards and from what I can tell the card tends to run hot and there is some shim issue (at least for the 9700's). In the spirit of being proactive to keep this card in working order, I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on if this card should have the shim removed and if the fan should be switched out as a matter of course. It kinda kills me to replace that sweet Sapphire heatsink/fan but I'd rather have an uglier working GPU over a pretty looking dead one! On top of that, if there's any other idiosyncrasies for these cards, I'd love to hear them.

PXL_20231216_202301337.jpg
Filename
PXL_20231216_202301337.jpg
File size
1.91 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
PXL_20231216_202326505.jpg
Filename
PXL_20231216_202326505.jpg
File size
1.82 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 9, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm in the same boat, but with a 9700 Pro (R300) and 9800 Pro (R360).
Keeping tabs on this thread.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 3 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shim problem can easily negated by using high performance thermal pad.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 9, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aside of the shim issue, I think the XT should be a safer bet with the nice large copper heatsinks and large fans they got. The 9800 Pro (what I have) and lower usually only got a tiny aluminium heatsink and a 40mm fan. Something that could do a decent job on a 9600 series cards, but I wouldn't trust them when it comes to the 9700 and 9800 series.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5 of 9, by Cypher321

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-12-17, 19:36:

Shim problem can easily negated by using high performance thermal pad.

Thanks for the pro tip. Any brands you'd recommend? I'm a dirty pleb that's still using paste.

RandomStranger wrote on 2023-12-17, 19:46:

Aside of the shim issue, I think the XT should be a safer bet with the nice large copper heatsinks and large fans they got. The 9800 Pro (what I have) and lower usually only got a tiny aluminium heatsink and a 40mm fan. Something that could do a decent job on a 9600 series cards, but I wouldn't trust them when it comes to the 9700 and 9800 series.

Sapphire definitely seems to have been on top of the thermal management! I've always wondered with some of the painfully inadequate heatsink/fan setups if the manufacturers were being lazy or cheap. Alternatively, maybe it was some shady dealings between manufacturers and Antec, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, etc. to keep business coming in for the aftermarket stuff.

Reply 6 of 9, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

radeon 9800 xxl user here (same as 9800xt just clocked 30hz lower in mem and core frequency) i use a Zalman VF700-CU copper cooler and ram heatsinks, besides that i also modded my case to have an excellent airflow, a really cool case is gonna save most cards from that era, especially with an open cooler since back at the time most cases were just ovens with an exhaust fan.

I use a side intake fan in most of my retro rigs, it pushes fresh air directly on the gpu, i noticed that it helps a lot with coolers without a plastic shroud.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 7 of 9, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cypher321 wrote on 2023-12-18, 01:33:

Sapphire definitely seems to have been on top of the thermal management! I've always wondered with some of the painfully inadequate heatsink/fan setups if the manufacturers were being lazy or cheap. Alternatively, maybe it was some shady dealings between manufacturers and Antec, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, etc. to keep business coming in for the aftermarket stuff.

All 9800XT were reference design with different stickers, except maybe Asus.
I wouldn't advise de-shimming. Tried on a dead 9800Pro and it wouldn't go off, may depend on the card. Zalman's base (VF700 /VF900) fits within a shim, so it's not a problem.
VRAM runs hot on those cards and is prone to dying, needs cooling. This is more of a problem on the backside.

Reply 8 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah it's usually the RAM that dies on these cards. Or the solder joints fail because of a zillion thermal cycles over the years. This is a problem to varying degrees with most GPUs from that decade. Pulling the cooling apart might actually be risky because you will put extra physical stress on the card in the process.

Reply 9 of 9, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also got a working 9800XT recently and compared to my 9700PRO and 9800PRO the cooling solution is night and day for a slightly higher clock, I would not be worried about it.

I just cleaned my, applied a fresh thermal paste and bought a new fan since the original one was too noise.

This is the fan I bought, fits perfectly, I'm just not sure how I feel about LED lights on my vintage video card 😀

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171092853419