VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

Our first PC was a CTC branded 486SX/33 with a 213mb hard drive, and we had to buy a Reveal Multimedia Upgrade Kit for Sound/CD-ROM. I cannot recall anything about the video card. The PC was purchased from Sun TV & Appliances (I miss that store, along with Media Play.)

What were common video cards for "generic" PC systems from 1993? Did Televideo have any video cards? Ark seems familiar, but that may have been from any number of random cards which came and went over the years in various found systems. I may have used the same card when upgrading to a DX2/66 (through Sun TV,) and then to a Pentium 90 (through the PC manufacturer, I cannot be certain.) I do know that even with the Pentium, if I tried to play Cybermage with the best graphics resolution settings, it ran very slow.

Many thanks!
Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 11, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The company I remember talking about some then was Trident. Cheap, fairly good performing by then, and even if not totally compatible, could be made to work.

Many companies came and went in those days. The common cards probably were from companies that had some longer presence by that point, and sold at an inexpensive level. I'd seen some of Oak Technology, Cirrus Logic, and Western Digital, so likely possible found in many machines. I had only knew of Tseng, ATI by name. Others that were around I learned of later. S3 seemed to get popular in the VLB era, and of course with the Virge/Trio, so they were kind of later. There were a few on the way out in '93, so I wouldn't consider them common, but I guess I could give Genoa a mention even if I never have seen their SVGA cards, they did play a role in the industry.

Reply 2 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there. I remember that way back in the early-mid 90s my dad had a Trident 8900 in his mighty 386DX-40 PC..
It wasn't slow, so I think it might have been the 8900D version, which was a successor to the fairly quick 8900CL.

Some more infos on this site (I'm not affiliated):

https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufacturers/trident.php
https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/1993.php

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 11, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the Trident 8900 series cards were one of the most common for 486 class PCs. Maybe the second most common were the Cirrus Logic GD5420 series.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4 of 11, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some french ads of the time, in december 1992

20231228_225138.jpg
Filename
20231228_225138.jpg
File size
96.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And june 1993

20231228_225107.jpg
Filename
20231228_225107.jpg
File size
84.97 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 5 of 11, by chuky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On our home 486 dx 33, we had a Trident. I don't know which model, probably ISA, but I had to run the VESA vbe to be able to play Little Big Adventure in 94. At work, my father and the other workers had a Tseng 4000 to run Autocad on a 486 dx 50 or better. I kept the manual of a Tseng 3000 so I guess someone had one.

Little Big Adventure had various drivers for each card and a generic vesa one. The game came out in october 1994, the readme list some cards that are compatible. I couldn't run the Trident one, only the VESA one after I ran the Vesa bios extension.

Ati Chipset Ati Mach32/Mach64 Ati Ultra Pro Ati VGA Wonder Cirrus Logic Chipset CL-GD 542X Chipset Compaq AVGA Chipset Compaq QV […]
Show full quote

Ati Chipset
Ati Mach32/Mach64
Ati Ultra Pro
Ati VGA Wonder
Cirrus Logic Chipset
CL-GD 542X Chipset
Compaq AVGA Chipset
Compaq QVision
Diamond Speedstar (Tseng)
Diamond Stealth (S3)
Genoa Chipset
HP Ultra (S3)
NCR
NCR 77C22 Chipset
OAK OTI 067/077 Chipset
Orchid Designer VGA (Tseng)
Orchid Pro Designer VGA (Tseng)
Orchid Fahrenheit (S3)
Paradise
Quadram VGA Spectra (Tseng)
Realtek PT-505
Realtek RTG 3105 Chipset
STB Lightspeed (Tseng)
STB VGA EM-16 Plus (Tseng)
STB VGA Extra/EM (Tseng)
S3 Incorporated Chipset
Tecmar VGA/AD (Tseng)
Tseng 3000 Chipset
Tseng 4000 Chipset
Trident VGA
T8800/T9400 Chipset
Western Digital Chipset
WD90CXX Chipset

Reply 7 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to see a fair few Chips and Technologies cards around https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufacturer … ndt.php#CT82C44 etc
They didn't really stand out for gamers or high end autocad or anything though so they have faded into obscurity a bit.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 11, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you all! It seems that unless I can find more information on CTC computers, I may never know what card I had. My 486 has an 8mb Mach64 which is overkill for this system, but so far DOS games look good and it has drivers for Windows 3.x. Trident sounds familiar, but I have been reading Vogons posts for many years, so it could be from that, hehehe...

I vaguely recall having a spare card due to either the 2nd or 3rd upgrade, so I think I will research the "best" cards from 1994 as a middle-ground solution.