VOGONS

First post, by ToniH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
Few months ago i got my very first Geforce FX 5800, which have an detecting issue.
When i make a first boot, all works fine, it goes to Windows etc, but when i restart my machine, the motherboard beeps that "no gpu installed" error and does not give signal.

Does anyone know what might be the issue and what should i do to fix the problem?
I really want to get this card working.

I have tested this card in many AGP motherboards, still got same issue.

Thank you 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try to thoroughly clean the AGP connector contacts with a pencil eraser, after thoroughly degreasing with 95% alcohol. And check the auxiliary power contacts. As well as capacitors (For swollen, leaking ones). It is also worth updating the thermal interface. In general, these old cards often have broken tracks inside the printed circuit board and there is no way to fix this (Unless you replace the board itself).

Reply 2 of 7, by ToniH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have done most of those things, also i changed 4 capacitors near power connector.
This is rare card, costs some hundred bucks to buy working one. If i cannot get this fixed, it will go to my Wall of Retro collection 😀
Thank you 😀

Reply 3 of 7, by dm-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. use a second pci adapter and boot using PCI primary vga.

reboot, reboot...
check if the device still present in device manager. if it is here - check/replace bios chip.

2. if you have oscilloscope, check VGPU and VMEM, capacitors in the power rail, they may be dead.

Reply 4 of 7, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

By the way, yes, try to flash vBIOS again.

PS: Surprisingly, these outdated chips (NV30; NV30GL; NV35GL; NV40; G70) can still be purchased from some Chinese suppliers. As well as suitable memory chips. It remains to do the reverse engineering of the PCB itself. It would be nice if someone launched such a new project to re-release these outdated graphics cards needed for retrogaming under DOS\9x. I would buy several similar video cards, because it is becoming more and more difficult to rummage through junk (There are a lot of really dead video cards or they are about to be on the verge).

Reply 5 of 7, by ToniH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dm- wrote on 2024-01-16, 10:10:
1. use a second pci adapter and boot using PCI primary vga. […]
Show full quote

1. use a second pci adapter and boot using PCI primary vga.

reboot, reboot...
check if the device still present in device manager. if it is here - check/replace bios chip.

2. if you have oscilloscope, check VGPU and VMEM, capacitors in the power rail, they may be dead.

I will test this, thank you of your suggestion.

Reply 6 of 7, by ToniH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DoZator wrote on 2024-01-16, 10:20:

By the way, yes, try to flash vBIOS again.

PS: Surprisingly, these outdated chips (NV30; NV30GL; NV35GL; NV40; G70) can still be purchased from some Chinese suppliers. As well as suitable memory chips. It remains to do the reverse engineering of the PCB itself. It would be nice if someone launched such a new project to re-release these outdated graphics cards needed for retrogaming under DOS\9x. I would buy several similar video cards, because it is becoming more and more difficult to rummage through junk (There are a lot of really dead video cards or they are about to be on the verge).

I will download working bios file for this GPU from internet and try re-flash another bios. Thank you 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by ToniH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested Geforce with another PCI(Voodoo 3) card installed and windows XP shows Geforce in Device Manager and has no issues. I made backup file of Geforce original VGA Bios and flashed another bios and it does the same thing, after first boot, when restart machine it will not "power up" Geforce.