VOGONS

First post, by gaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just received an ATi x800 Gto 256mb pcie card.

Plugged it into my windows 98 time machine, installed the drivers but it won't let me increase resolution above 1024 x 768 16bit.

The sliders are there and they move but when I click apply it says it is unable to change display settings.

Edit:

I've noticed in device manager the x800 is listed twice with one listed as secondary.

I don't know if that is an issue?

I'm connected by a DVI cable to a dell 30inch monitor capable of 2560x1600

Reply 1 of 5, by MadMac_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had issues with some newer monitors being recognized properly as a Plug and Play monitor. Check to see if there are Windows 98 drivers for your monitor, that may be part of the issue that you're seeing? I know I had to do the same for a circa 2005 NEC 19" CRT.

Reply 2 of 5, by gaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MadMac_5 wrote on 2024-01-16, 18:35:

I've had issues with some newer monitors being recognized properly as a Plug and Play monitor. Check to see if there are Windows 98 drivers for your monitor, that may be part of the issue that you're seeing? I know I had to do the same for a circa 2005 NEC 19" CRT.

I've just run Quake 3 Arena and it let me turn everything to max at 1600 x 1200 so I at least know the card is working as it should.

I'm sure though that when I had the S3 Virge DX card, it recognised my monitor and I could change resolution in windows no problem.

Reply 3 of 5, by gaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I've discovered with the DVI connected I can only change resolution with the advanced ATi tabs and there doesn't seem to be a setting any higher than 1600 x 1200 @32 bits.

But with the VGA connected I can use the normal windows display control and I can set it to 1920 x 1200 @32 bits.

That's still shy of my monitors native resolution of 2560 x 1600 , but at least 1920 x 1200 is the correct 16:10 aspect ratio.

I have another problem now though since fitting the ATi X800 GTO 256MB pcie card, when I click shut down / restart in MS-DOS mode I just get a blank screen 🙁

I've tried with both VGA and DVI and it's the same.

CAPS LOCK still works so I assume it's just a display problem.

I didn't have this problem with the S3 ViRGE DX 4MB card.. it restarted in MS DOS no problem and I was able to load DOOM directly from DOS.

Any ideas?

Edit:

The screen also goes into power save mode in DOS mode, however if I type ( blind ) 'WIN' and press enter, the screen comes back on and it says in text top left of screen 'Loading windows 98' etc and then windows loads back to the desktop.

Reply 4 of 5, by gaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So after some use last night, card seems to be fine except when I tried to run Unreal.

Game starts and the 3D title screen around the castle runs fine, but when I tried to start a game it froze. Then when I restarted the PC I got several different blue screen messages and basic display colours.

Windows scanned the hard disk and strangely only showed half a screen on the left and a black garbled screen on the right.

Never the less it discovered some issues in the registry/system etc and automatically restored to a previous backup and it all looks great again.

Weird.

Could the card be faulty? Or just Windows 98 doing its thing.