VOGONS

First post, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I want to record the raw output from the monitor connected to a retro pc I have, including bios boot screens, gameplay, etc.

So I want to ask people who know about this kind of stuff - can I use an hdmi usb capture device for that? Like this one
https://amzn.eu/d/aNHrVfj

Reply 1 of 7, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The model you've found has an HDMI input, you need something with VGA input.

https://www.amazon.com/Capture-Streaming-Teac … omputers&sr=1-3

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 7, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Capturing bios / dos text mode isn't easy because of the refresh rate and resolution most of the cheap vga to hdmi adapters won't handle. Some of them need at least 640x480 resolution with 60hz. Look here to dive into the topic:

Re: VGA Capture Thread

Reply 3 of 7, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2024-02-02, 22:22:

The model you've found has an HDMI input, you need something with VGA input.

https://www.amazon.com/Capture-Streaming-Teac … omputers&sr=1-3

That thing is crap....I know, got one .... won't do DOS modes, won't do various 4:3 screenmodes (will do 640x480 but nothing else), and picture quality sucks.... as per review on that page;

C7tYxxW.png

Reply 4 of 7, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's your retro PCs specs? Graphics card with dvi-d output isn't possible I guess? Than propper hardware for scaling/converting and capturing analog video is needed. I use a Kramer scaler for this purpose (but there are other possibilities as well). It has a vga in and converts any resolution and refresh rate to 720p 60hz which then feed the capture device.

Reply 5 of 7, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used that cheap dongle successfully with DOS but only after having the VGA signal go through OSSC. The HDMI signal is then fed to the dongle, which is connected to a USB 3 port.
With that, it is possible to capture boot messages.

Reply 6 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OSSC to convert VGA to HDMI, then feed the HDMI into a nicer capture card such as an Avermedia or Elgato unit. That's about the best solution that's been found so far. You'll have to tweak the OSSC settings to get it to handle DOS resolutions a little better.

It is not a great solution, but there currently is no great solution.

OSSC Pro might be better, but it's been sold out for quite a while, and it's $400.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 7 of 7, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot for the responses! So this isn't as straightforward as I thought - that I could just plug an HDMI cable into the monitor connected to the retro PC (not the PC itself), and the other end of the HDMI cable into the USB capture card, which in turn is plugged USB into my modern PC (on which OBS is running).

Looks like I directly need to connect the capture card to the graphics card of the retro PC, and then plug it USB into the modern PC, correct? And even then there seem to be some complications around capturing the bios screens or DOS..