VOGONS

First post, by 65C02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Old Toshiba Pentium II with Windows 95. I'm trying to play movies on it, but I can only get Power DVD to show the movie in blocky red and blue! I can recognize what movie is playing behind the red and blue blocks, but something is obviously very wrong. I have tried different color profiles in Power DVD, toggled Hardware Acceleration on/off, tried different color depths and resolutions - all to no avail. I know Win95 predates DVDs, did it require any patches or extra software to play them?

It worked fine in Windows ME, but I would rather use 95 for better DOS support

Reply 1 of 4, by Kalle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried PowerDVD V4 in Win95B and it plays DVDs okay. On my PC, it doesn't seem to make use of hardware acceleration in Win95, but I think that's a driver issue. Anyway it's not blocky red and blue.
Maybe it's a driver issue in your case.

Apart from that, if it worked fine in WinME, but you wanted better DOS support, why not use Win98SE instead? It's got real mode DOS mode, and was more advanced than Win95.

Reply 2 of 4, by 65C02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, it could be a driver issue. Finding Windows 95 drivers for my Radeon DDR was difficult. Most of the Win 9x drivers I found would only work on 98/ME. Now that I've found a valid Win95 driver, my OGL and DX games are working, but maybe the DVD/video part of the driver needs 98 to work properly?

I lost my 98SE CD so all I have are 95 and ME. I tried ME first, forgetting that they took out DOS mode, so here I am downgraded to 95. I know I could just buy a pack of CDs and burn a copy of 98, but all of my DOS and Windows games are installed. I don't want to start all over again with a different OS. 😀