VOGONS

First post, by SpringyCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I would like to find someone who has the same or similar card and would be willing to back up and send me the original BIOS.

MSI_Ti200_big.jpg

I somehow managed to screw up my card's BIOS to the point where it was no longer detected by Windows. Using NVflash, I backed up the already damaged BIOS and at the same time replaced it with another one from a similar card from ASUS. This got the MSI card working again.
I also tried to download updates from the MSI website via the Wayback Machine, but the procedure when I unzipped the .cab file and renamed the files N8850MS.111 or N8850MS.103 to .rom was apparently not the right one, because after flashing these bios the card never worked.

Thank You all in advance.

Reply 1 of 5, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, odd that I have this Medion Gf3 Ti200 - MS-8839 card out for testing right now. It looks like a very close relative of the MS-8850. The ram is a bit rubbish on this medion card with 5ns / 200MHz (400MHz DDR) chips so perhaps not a complete match.

Medion-Gf3-Ti200-MS8839 (Custom).JPG
Filename
Medion-Gf3-Ti200-MS8839 (Custom).JPG
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I'll get a backup of its BIOS file when I test it later.

But checking this archive: https://archive.org/details/whitebunny-video-bios-roms
The attached file is the MS-8850 103T rom from that archive that looks like it was backed up from a running card possibly:

MS8850-rom-103.png
Filename
MS8850-rom-103.png
File size
65.01 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

That was the first file I opened out of the set of GF3 Ti200 ROM files.

Hopefully it should work, what settings are you using with NVFlash? Perhaps there's some part of the ROM that's not reflashed normally and that needs reflashing with the right options to make the card work again?

Attachments

Reply 4 of 5, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you know if the video card works as a secondary card and can display through it? See this video for what I mean - you set the BIOS to boot from PCI VGA first and use the AGP as a secondary display: https://youtu.be/H2rIfqd_-rg?t=268

Here's the backup from my MS-8838 card which may have different clocks or be set up for different RAM, but the main card layout is essentially the same.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 5, by SpringyCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would have to try again with that firmware because I already used the bios from ASUS again. The problem could also be the size of the .rom file with version 103. The one from the archive is 48kb while all the others, including the one from your MS-8838, are only 47kb in size.