VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm going through my old hardware box and I found an ATI 9800 Pro. However, when I try to use it the system doesn't POST and the fan doesn't spin either.

Is there any generic troubleshooting I can do? (yes, I've connected the 4-pin molex connector, haha)

The system I'm using works with other AGP cards (Dell Dimension 4600) and although it has a smaller power supply (240W) I would expect it to at least power on.

I'm hoping maybe there is something simple I can perhaps fix instead of throwing the card away?

Reply 1 of 3, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check if the fan is functioning at all, connect an external power source. Does it rotate smoothly driven by hand?
If it works, it might that some FET or voltage regulator on the card has blown.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 2 of 3, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suspect your card probably has a seized fan, and the GPU chip dies as as result.
At least this was a very common issue that I saw back in the day with these cards. Same with the Radeon 9700.
... which is a shame, because if it wasn't for the crappy / undersized coolers that these cards used, many of them would still be working today.

Fun fact: one of my very first/oldest GPU repairs was on several Radeon 9700 video cards I bought off of eBay in the mid-late 2000's. Many had missing SMD components. I fixed those, thinking this would restore the no video / artifacts on these. But of course that wasn't their issue. It was the GPU going bad. Eventually (early 2010's) I gave these a reflow using a heatgun, and I was able to bring about half (four) of them back to life. One died after a year of use, because I used the same crappy stock cooler. The other 3 I modded heavily with large CPU and GPU heatsinks off of Xbox 360's, and they are still working today. Granted I never put too much use on them since I fixed them... but on one of them, I did use every once in a while.

So there is some hope for yours too, most likely to come back with a reflow. Of course, inspect for broken / chipped SMD components first. If none, it's probably a GPU issue and I'd say there's a 50% chance you can get it back running.

... Or if you chose not to mess with it, don't throw it away! Either put it for sale online or give it away locally, if possible. The retro PC community has picked up just about everywhere globally (though certainly more in some places of the world than others.) As such, there is a chance that there may be someone nearby willing to buy/take that non-working card and try to fix it.

Reply 3 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's one or two pain in the butt cards that don't come alive unless the load from an analog monitor is on them. They can be faked out with resistors stuck in the socket. Not sure if this is one of them or not, just mentioning it in case.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.