VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been searching and trying to read as much as possible but I'm still a bit unsure.

I'm trying to figure out the best DOS VGA card and I think I want an S3 Trio64 or ViRGE. I've also been looking over the DOS Tests chart (which is fantastic). The ViRGE supposedly only adds (terrible) 3D so I think I'm focusing on the Trio64, Trio64V+, and Trio64V2/DX.

According to the chart, the S3 Trio64 has the best compatibility and the S3 Trio64V+/Trio64V2/DX is close with just a few problems in Pinball Illusions. (it also doesn't help that the BIOS versions also make a difference too?)

Can anybody give me any advice?

Reply 1 of 2, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It’s a great card.

There are lots of good and highly compatible dos cards, I’m not sure there is any one single card that would qualify as the best, just depends on the games you want to play. My main advice about this would be to look up the games you want to play and see if they have any problems with the card you want to use, and if not then you’re good to use any card you want.

But yes the s3 trio series is awesome, it’s what I use in my pentium 1 machine 😀

Reply 2 of 2, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The difference between cards with good compatibility and "the best" doesn't really matter for most, unless those few games are really what you want to play. Any Trio64 is a very good choice when looking for DOS compatibility, go for it.