VOGONS

Can a faster ISA Graphics card be built?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 64, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah we get to the typical..
A:"Janky old cards that I claim to want are over $100 on eBay now, won't someone PLEASE make a modern replica/replacement."
... sometime later...
B:"I've come up with a way to build it using $150 worth of components, $10 for PCB, or I'll sell them assembled for $200"
A:"Scammer! It's only $100 on eBay for the real thing!" *still doesn't buy the one on eBay because he thought new ones should sell for $20, even though they cost $500 to make back int he 1990s, and have components that can be parted out used for $70*

( By the way, goldbugs gonna goldbug, but some other financial forecasters are predicting a run on gold this year, so if you've been meaning to pick up pre-2000 CPUs for $15 or $20, do it now, or the scrappers are gonna force them up to $100 real quick.)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 61 of 64, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-11, 16:04:

Anyone else I would have said was full of shit but this is "Mr FastDoom"

yes, but viti said games, is he going to patch/rewrite all of the games? 😀

BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-11, 18:49:
A:"Janky old cards that I claim to want are over $100 on eBay now, won't someone PLEASE make a modern replica/replacement." ... […]
Show full quote

A:"Janky old cards that I claim to want are over $100 on eBay now, won't someone PLEASE make a modern replica/replacement."
... sometime later...
B:"I've come up with a way to build it using $150 worth of components, $10 for PCB, or I'll sell them assembled for $200"
A:"Scammer! It's only $100 on eBay for the real thing!" *still doesn't buy the one on eBay because he thought new ones should sell for $20

:] thats why Imo it only makes sense to make
- replicas of unobtanium hardware
- super deals like picoGUS
- something delivering unique experience/performance

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 62 of 64, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-11, 18:49:
Yeah we get to the typical.. A:"Janky old cards that I claim to want are over $100 on eBay now, won't someone PLEASE make a mode […]
Show full quote

Yeah we get to the typical..
... sometime later...
A:"Scammer! It's only $100 on eBay for the real thing!" *still doesn't buy the one on eBay because he thought new ones should sell for $20, even though they cost $500 to make back int he 1990s, and have components that can be parted out used for $70*

Yup

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 63 of 64, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-04-11, 19:17:
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-11, 16:04:

Anyone else I would have said was full of shit but this is "Mr FastDoom"

yes, but viti said games, is he going to patch/rewrite all of the games? 😀

Add DirectX / Glide / OpenGL support in the card and you won't require to rewrite anything. And I bet Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and Quake are quite doable. Also games like Commander Keen can be optimized. If I had such card, I'm pretty sure I'll do cool stuff with it.

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 64 of 64, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ViTi95 wrote on 2024-04-11, 20:37:

Add DirectX / Glide / OpenGL support in the card and you won't require to rewrite anything.

now you want to port Wolf3D to DirectX? :]
On a more serious note Glide is apparently very developer friendly. Quake 2 Dos port might be a good start to get the feel https://bitbucket.org/neozeed/q2dos/src/master/ http://dk.toastednet.org/Q2DOS/

ViTi95 wrote on 2024-04-11, 20:37:

And I bet Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and Quake are quite doable. Also games like Commander Keen can be optimized. If I had such card, I'm pretty sure I'll do cool stuff with it.

But then to get good Quake performance you will have whole game running inside the pi connected over ISA 😀
Paradoxically Duke3D, or rather Build engine is not very 3d accelerator friendly. Guys doing Ion Fury had massive trouble bringing it into 21 century with game still hitching deep into development.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction