VOGONS

First post, by Ripthron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For some reason it doesn't work, it spits out a bunch of beeps. The same GPU works fine on my Socket 370 motherboard with Celeron.
The used PCI slot on my S7 MB works with no issues with an ethernet card.
The GPU is a ATI Rage 2C. Video with the beeps sound: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlSgH9mVunlegt5xZBaSRLbXwXBVWA?e=iHzTgu

Is this GPU is not compatible with socket 7 mother boards?

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That looks vaguely like an M571, is the onboard disabled, or did you even reset CMOS for it to detect new config?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 4, by Ripthron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-10, 03:35:

That looks vaguely like an M571, is the onboard disabled, or did you even reset CMOS for it to detect new config?

Yes, It's an M571. Do I need to disable onboard video and clear the CMOS?

Reply 3 of 4, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ripthron wrote on 2024-04-10, 04:00:

Clear the CMOS first and test, then Disable onboard and test, that card should work just fine, just checked and that card is PCI 3.3v only ...does your board support both 3.3v cards and 5v cards or only 5v PCI cards ?

Hmm that board is only PCI 1.0 compliant which means 5v cards only .. Im guessing it doesn't like 3.3v only video cards which that RageIIc is, it wasn't till PCI 2.0 that 3.3v was supported.

Try and find a PCI card with the notch at the read of the PCI connector as that will be 5v compliant, notch at the front is 3.3v only and two notches means compatible with both 3.3v and 5v

Reply 4 of 4, by Ripthron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-10, 04:14:
Clear the CMOS first and test, then Disable onboard and test, that card should work just fine, just checked and that card is PCI […]
Show full quote
Ripthron wrote on 2024-04-10, 04:00:

Clear the CMOS first and test, then Disable onboard and test, that card should work just fine, just checked and that card is PCI 3.3v only ...does your board support both 3.3v cards and 5v cards or only 5v PCI cards ?

Hmm that board is only PCI 1.0 compliant which means 5v cards only .. Im guessing it doesn't like 3.3v only video cards which that RageIIc is, it wasn't till PCI 2.0 that 3.3v was supported.

Try and find a PCI card with the notch at the read of the PCI connector as that will be 5v compliant, notch at the front is 3.3v only and two notches means compatible with both 3.3v and 5v

This card is 5V only as far as I know.
I also have a Rage XL that only works at 3.3v. When I put it on this PC it doesn't receive power. The Rage 2C receives power, that's why the PC beeps.

I tried everything you mentioned plus changing the PCI slots and the same thing happened. Any more suggestions?