VOGONS

First post, by winuser3162

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Diamond multimedia monster 3D Voodoo 1 with the original driver disk. The card was working a few months ago when I had it installed in a windows 98 machine until I switched the machine to windows 95.

Whenever I install the card it displays completely fine when connected to my s3 trio or ATI rage 3D card via the pass through cable but windows 95 doesn’t prompt me for a driver installation and acts almost as if the card doesn’t exist. I’ve tried running games and the games run like I only have my S3 trio installed. I’ve tried installing the drivers from the original 1.09 driver disk but windows still doesn’t recognize the installed card, I’m just left with “monster 3D” as a program.

I have tried to install the card in a different windows 95 socket 7 machine and windows recognizes it as an unknown device but doesn’t show anything in device manager indicating the card is installed nor does it prompt me to install the drivers.

The card is in very good visible shape and I’ve taken very good care of it. Maybe a fresh install of windows 95? If anyone has advice for me I’m desperate to get this card working.

1:intel Core 2 Extreme QX 6700, 2X GeForce 8800GTX SLI, SB Audigy 2ZS, XFX 780i SLI, 4GB Corsair XMS DDR2, Custom Waterloop
2:intel Pentium MMX , ATI Rage 3D, SoundBlaster16, Diamond Monstor 3D, 60MB Ram, Asus P/1-P55T2P4, Dual Booted Windows 95 pLuS!

Reply 1 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try to eliminate possibilities.
Is it a windows issue? Test the card on a fresh, temporary installation (even on a different HDD if you don't want to format the current installation until proven bad)
Is it a win95 issue for some weird reason? Confirm that the card still works as it used to do in a similar win98 environment.
Is it a software or a hardware issue? Test with a couple of pure DOS games.
These should give you a general direction for the next steps.

Reply 2 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I remember, simply installing the Diamond drivers by running setup from the CD wasn't enough under Win95.

I had to manually update the card's drivers from Device Manager, where it was labeled as an unknown device or something like that.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 7, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed a Diamond Voodoo 1 on a Windows 95 on a socket 7 machine last week. It appeared as a Multimedia device initially then Installed Diamond drivers. No issues.

Your Voodoo 1 isn’t working on 2 machines so I don’t think it’s software. Try clean the PCI copper connection with some IPA then insert it in and out of the PCI slot a few times. If that doesn’t work, it would be a good idea to inspect all the solder joints (microscope massively helps with this).

Reply 5 of 7, by winuser3162

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
marxveix wrote on 2024-04-10, 12:32:

Test your card with dos and voodoo games, does it work there?

I’ll test it in dos this afternoon as I haven’t done that yet and give an update on how that goes.

1:intel Core 2 Extreme QX 6700, 2X GeForce 8800GTX SLI, SB Audigy 2ZS, XFX 780i SLI, 4GB Corsair XMS DDR2, Custom Waterloop
2:intel Pentium MMX , ATI Rage 3D, SoundBlaster16, Diamond Monstor 3D, 60MB Ram, Asus P/1-P55T2P4, Dual Booted Windows 95 pLuS!

Reply 6 of 7, by winuser3162

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2024-04-10, 09:04:
Try to eliminate possibilities. Is it a windows issue? Test the card on a fresh, temporary installation (even on a different HDD […]
Show full quote

Is it a windows issue? Test the card on a fresh, temporary installation (even on a different HDD if you don't want to format the current installation until proven bad)
Is it a win95 issue for some weird reason? Confirm that the card still works as it used to do in a similar win98 environment.

Would testing the voodoo1 on XP be possible?

Reply 7 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
winuser3162 wrote on 2024-04-10, 15:23:
konc wrote on 2024-04-10, 09:04:
Try to eliminate possibilities. Is it a windows issue? Test the card on a fresh, temporary installation (even on a different HDD […]
Show full quote

Would testing the voodoo1 on XP be possible?

To check if the card is recognized, yes of course. But I don't know if XP have built-in drivers for it and the official ones aren't for XP. For a complete test you'll also need to find something that uses the card and runs correctly under XP.