VOGONS

First post, by winuser3162

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so i have a riva TNT2 M64 that i want to install in my windows 98 build along with my 750 MHZ slot 1 P3, this computer is running Win 98 SE.

when i install the card and boot into windows 98 it just shows up in device manager as "standard VGA graphics" or something of that sort, not a big problem.

the problem arrises when i try and install the drivers for the card, during the driver setup i keep getting prompted and told that my nvidia card isnt installed, the drivers arent recognizing the installed TNT2. has anyone ever had this problem and could experimenting with different driver versions and potentially different cards/instatlation of windows solve this problem?

1:intel Core 2 Extreme QX 6700, 2X GeForce 8800GTX SLI, SB Audigy 2ZS, XFX 780i SLI, 4GB Corsair XMS DDR2, Custom Waterloop
2:intel Pentium MMX , ATI Rage 3D, SoundBlaster16, Diamond Monstor 3D, 60MB Ram, Asus P/1-P55T2P4, Dual Booted Windows 95 pLuS!

Reply 1 of 3, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
winuser3162 wrote on 2024-04-10, 19:33:

so i have a riva TNT2 M64 that i want to install in my windows 98 build along with my 750 MHZ slot 1 P3, this computer is running Win 98 SE.

when i install the card and boot into windows 98 it just shows up in device manager as "standard VGA graphics" or something of that sort, not a big problem.

the problem arrises when i try and install the drivers for the card, during the driver setup i keep getting prompted and told that my nvidia card isnt installed, the drivers arent recognizing the installed TNT2. has anyone ever had this problem and could experimenting with different driver versions and potentially different cards/instatlation of windows solve this problem?

Probably you just have a driver that's way too new for the card. I remember the best drivers were in the single-digit revisions like 3.68, 5.22, 6.50, 7.08 etc. However the latest drivers that were released were with some insane version numbers like 40.xx.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 2 of 3, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's the make and model? Try to look for the "original" driver if possible. I've got a Gigabyte GA-622-32C (rev. 4.0)-S; the official site recommends 45.23, arguably the best Detonator for Win9x.

For the record, ForceWare 71.84 was the last official Win9x driver for TNT2 Model 64.

Reply 3 of 3, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess it depends on what you play, but Detonator 5/6.xx series already had support for GeForce-series cards included, and I found that performance in games for the TNT cards just kept dropping as the version numbers grew. That said, the system in question was a slower PIII 450 while the OP is rocking 750 MHz. Presumably some later DX8-era games might play better with the really new drivers?

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.