VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Fisu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have zero luck getting Heart Of China, Rise Of Dragon or Willy Beamish to run under WXP. The games transmit SysEx to MT-32 and then just quit. Without roland support enabled the games quit immediately upon launch.

Anyone have got these to work?

Reply 1 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Fisu I have zero luck getting Heart Of China, Rise Of Dragon or Willy Beamish to run under WXP.

Hadn't heard there were problems with these. Will do some checking and get back with you. Be aware that if we get into any detailed troubleshooting we may need to split the thread in case different things need to be done for each title.

Without roland support enabled the games quit immediately upon launch.

Now that definitely doesn't sound right. Should at least run with silence or PC speaker.

Reply 2 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What a pain...

Found that these titles are indeed very picky. Best I got running natively was running them with PC-speaker for audio. All seem to need EMS and that only seems to work if I manually enter the settings on the executable's shortcut. No AdLib, SB, or Roland and no VDMSound.

Willy seems to run on DosBox, but the other two gave me unsupported errors (odd since they are 286 or earlier). You may have to wait for DosBox .60 or higher for these.

If all else fails, there are Amiga and Mac versions of all three. Of course the Amiga version has less color (but usually good audio), and the Mac has the 1-button mouse control and some sound latency issues on Basilisk.

Reply 3 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Willy seems to run on DosBox, but the other two gave me unsupported errors (odd since they are 286 or earlier). You may have to wait for DosBox .60 or higher for these.

If you set in the configfile warning to a number greater that 0 you get to see which feature was unsupported.

It may just be a very little used dos-call or a weird on-logic timer call.

Qbix

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 10, by Fisu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One of the reasons why I am interested in these is the MT-32 support, so other platforms or dosbox doesn't help here, atleast until dosbox starts supporting MPU-401 emulation. Well thanks for help. I guess I'l just wait until dosbox becomes the solution.

Reply 5 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix If you set in the configfile warning to a number greater that 0 you get to see which feature was unsupported.

Yes, I know, just haven't gotten around to any in-depth testing. The "real-world" is gobbling up all my time right now.

BTW, I presume HIMEM or some equivalent is always present in DosBox. How big of a deal would it be to make a build that had no memory management active at all? For titles that use their own, custom memory managers... (yeah, I know that's after protected mode, but still,...).

Reply 6 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Yes, I know, just haven't gotten around to any in-depth testing. The "real-world" is gobbling up all my time right now.

BTW, I presume HIMEM or some equivalent is always present in DosBox. How big of a deal would it be to make a build that had no memory management active at all? For titles that use their own, custom memory managers... (yeah, I know that's after protected mode, but still,...).

Well if you set the size of the xms and ems memory to zero (0) in the configfile the subsystem is disabled

xms=0 means no extended memory mangement present at all in dosbox

Peter

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!