VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by EMSOPhelp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In short, I am at my wits end, with time running out, as I need to program a Kenwood VHF radio (tk-730H-G) and have gone down a route which is simply not working. Local help did not work and I do not have a Kenwood dealer where I am located. So I am struggling. Wondering if someone in this community could help me out? Here is where I am.....

HP Envy laptop running windows 10, no serial ports only USB's
Downloaded DOSBox program as radio is in need of DOS to program. I have the radio software to program, on USB drive which also has DOS on it
Purchased Serial cable to communicate with radio as I thought I had a computer with serial port but, that didn't happen and am running out of luck finding one so.....I purchased a USB to serial port adapter and it should be here soon. The serial port adapter has FTDI chip which may or may not be an issue. Unsure.

Will DOSBox allow me to mount the software and send to USB via adapter to serial cable to radio?

With that said, I have 3 weeks to get my radio programmed to assure I can pass EMS inspection through by state. I only need 2 VHF channels programmed, that's it. I am registered with the state communication center to use the channels so this is completely legal incase anyone was wondering. Only thing left is to get the radio programmed. The radio is installed in the ambulance and would be a HUGE deal to pull it out, hence the need for the laptop. So there it is. I would be greatly indebted to any and all who could help me get this completed. Also to note, working within this realm is quite foreign so I may or may not understand any directions given so patience and understanding would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Reply 1 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This isn't a you problem it's an organizational problem that isn't going to be fixed by doing things half-assed. So if it were me and I couldn't get approval then I wouldn't do anything and fail the inspection. (Communicate that up the chain so you have it in writing)

I would hope that wherever you work has the ability to review and approve software to be used on your systems.
DOSBox is not for production purposes and is only for usage for games because games are not critical so bad things may happen when used for other purposes.
Typically vmware, virtualbox, kvm, qemu are recommended in these cases as long as they are approved.

IMO,
If your radio requires DOS to program it then it's a simple matter of booting DOS on a physical system that has a serial connection or a serial PCI/PCIe card and doing what you need to do as long as you are approved to do so on those systems.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 10, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot of relatively modern corporate systems from the likes of Lenovo, Dell etc still come with serial ports, so it may be worth recommending to your management chain that they purchase a something like that. A suitable technical sales person at one of those big brands should be able to advise a model you can boot Dos on with a real serial port.

It sounds like this is essential for maintenance of your radio system, so the right tools need to be in place.

For anything work related I would not try to bodge it (you don't want the issues to land on you if there are problems down the line), and that includes buying second hand or used kit.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 10, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have similar conversations in my line of work where researchers try to keep expensive lab kit going indefinitely... When things break they inevitably want to try and fix things on the cheap either attempting to make repairs themselves or by non approved parts (which could be anything from a fuse to a motherboard).

That's all well and good trying to get things done cheaply, but when that repair fails and ruins 6 months of sample data, the manufacturer refuses to service the machine due to nonstandard bits, or the faulty repair then takes out several hundred K worth of instruments, well, that cheap repair is no longer cheap!

Reply 4 of 10, by EMSOPhelp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting suggestions. Thank you none the less. I am co-owner of the company so I can pretty much do as I choose. I have now come into possession of an old Dell Latitude with windows XP installed on it and it has a serial port. I truly thought I scored! Well, while trying to boot from the provided USB stick, which holds DOS and the kenwood DOS program, I get I/O disk error. When going back to the guy who sold me the cable and included USB stick, he stated is needed to be Windows 95 and Windows 3.1. Here I thought I was in business! Ugh....

Reply 5 of 10, by EMSOPhelp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Megatron-UK, I am just trying to get it to work. This stuff is old so not trying to go any "cheap route" as you say. My goal is to get it to work, that's all. And DOS freak, failing the inspection is not an option. My business depends on it. I will make it work, somehow, someway. It will come together.

I appreciate, the comments, and thoughts. Keep them coming! Especially now that I have a machine with a serial port. Thank you.

Reply 6 of 10, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have a machine with a serial ports, then you could try booting from either a dos boot floppy disk or Dos usb memory stick (freedos supply one). You probably don't need to format and reinstall.

I assume the Comms software is small enough to fit in a floppy?

Reply 8 of 10, by kiacadp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the program runs in DOS, and when you say mount, do you mean run an .exe file ? If so, then perhaps FreeDOS is the way as suggested. You could burn it on a CD and run it in a live environment, have the USB with the programming software plugged in as well and mind the drive letter assigned to the USB drive. Then, run the program executable that's located on the USB drive.

Reply 10 of 10, by kiacadp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the software to program the radio needs to be executed in DOS in order to function. The software package has an executable file to run it, something like "setup.exe" , where "setup" can have a different name.
In order to run it though, like we discussed, requires you to run in in DOS. I think the simplest way to achieve that, given that you do not have a machine that can run DOS natively, is to get a software called FreeDOS that can be downloaded off the internet, burn it to a CD and run it "Live" , as in without the need to install it on the hard disk, just insert the CD in the CD ROM and make sure you boot off the CD ROM. You might need to go into BIOS and ensure CD ROM is selected as primary boot device.
Once you boot off the CD ROM into FreeDos, if your laptop has a Floppy disk and the software to program the radio fits on that ( and I think it does), then you simply copy the software to floppy and run it. If no floppy drive available, then a USB should work also.
If this sounds too complicated then perhaps ask someone to assist you, maybe a PC shop can help.
There might be other ways of doing it, but this is how I would try it if I was in your shoes. Good luck.