VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kenpachi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone,

For anyone who has an ASUS 701 / 4G eeePC hanging about, it's a handy little unit for playing some old titles, especially thanks to crazii and SBEMU.

On some of my other retro laptops, I've had some great success using kalohimal's CPUSPD for underclocking, thanks kalohimal!

However, the eeePC is not supported, and rather than request support in CPUSPD from kalohimal, I decided to write my own and finally contribute something back to the community.

It's very basic, written in assembly, and from what I can tell from my own testing experience the PLL clock changes must be slow and gradual to maintain stability during FSB changes. The overclocking apps from back in the eeePC era did this as well. From what I can see those overclocking apps from that time increased vCore during the clock adjustment, then dropped back to the stock undervolt if below a certain speed threshold, and left it high if you were clocked high. I read reports of some people running 1Ghz on these machines, but that's really not my aim here. Although i did find the Descent music to run a bit better clocked a touch higher.

Anyway, standard disclaimer for a program that writes to your PLL registers - do so at your own risk. This is only written and tested for the ASUS eeePC 701, it won't work on anything else unless you are crazy lucky to have the exact PLL chip as in the 701.

In my testing i found it pretty stable in the range of 270MHz to 720MHz, though it didn't like rebooting at 450Mhz and below at the values i tested.

I didn't have time to hunt for the fastest stepping time, I just aimed for a safe stable stepping delay. Too fast (without the above mentioned vCore increase) and it required a battery pull.

Hope it is useful, that native 800x480 LCD really does look neat playing some old titles.

If there's any bugs please let me know, I have so little time these days but I'll make sure to check in here if it's not working.

[Edit: thanks Zyzzle, the LCD is in fact 800x480 and not 640x480, wishful thinking!]

https://hyperreal.com.au/index.html

Last edited by Kenpachi on 2024-04-13, 07:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So cool! The Asus Eee PC was one of the first netbooks. I remember being blown away by how small they were when new. I don't own one so I can't test the tool but still wanted to comment some appreciation. I have a slightly later netbook with an Atom CPU that is running as a low power server to this day, easily 10+ years of service. : )

Reply 4 of 11, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kenpachi wrote on 2024-04-09, 11:29:

Hope it is useful, that native 640x480 LCD really does look neat playing some old titles.

Everything I've read says that the screen on the eee701 is in fact 800x480, not 640x480. Is the screen 4:3 native or is it 16:9? Clarify if you can.

I didn't think any netbooks had a 4:3 screen. I have an old Acer Aspire one with its 9" screen, but it's 16:9 and 1024x600 native resolution.

I'd love to find an old eee701 to test your little utility on - especially if in fact the little screen really is native 4:3 and will play DOS games at the proper 4:3 resolutions not stretched to fill a 16:9 display. If it's 4:3 native, that would make it unique among netbooks of the mid-2000s era. And, with SBEMU / VSBHDA it would be the literally perfect DOS portable system.

Also, does Throttle not work on the eee701? How about CPUSpd?

Reply 7 of 11, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for confirming 800x480 display!

I found a way to map 1:1 native pixel mode, thereby disabline stretching on my Acer Aspire One, through a custom video BIOS driver from Intel, but of course I don't think that will work for the Eee701. And, it takes up about 64kb of low DOS memory to do so, as the driver has to "replace" the vBIOS and copy it to low RAM to modify. Perhaps a more sophisticated way to directly disable stretching on the eee701 may be found, thereby requiring no low memory mirror of the video BIOS.

Good luck in your search for a possibe fix!

Reply 8 of 11, by Kenpachi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the heads up - it looks like the LCD (A070VW04v0) is really basic and has no scaling capability, so the i915g / GMA900 has to do the scaling, likely only controlled by the vbios as you've done.
The solution would be pretty similar i think, doesnt the Acer Aspire One have i945 / GMA950?

Reply 9 of 11, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, i945 chipset and GMA950 graphics / vbios on Acer Aspire One.

Perhaps GMA900 vbios can be hacked to do native 1:1 instead of stretching by default. I looked and can see that no one previously has released such a utility / hack for the EEE701.

Reply 10 of 11, by Kenpachi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would be cool to look into.
I wasnt able to find any modded bios on the GMA950 or GMA900, but it would be good to get the stock & modded vbios together and have a look!
I wonder if GMABooster wrote to registers or other configuration space (perhaps even SMBus) to make its clock adjustment changes... I'm assuming so, as it could make these changes on the fly without reboot - I don't know much about windows and vbios, I'm only guessing that clock settings are pulled from vbios and sit in a register which the PLL or clock divider references.
If that is the case, it sure would be handy to be able to switch scaling on and off from a DOS prompt by manipulating that register. Perhaps even underclock it further too!

Reply 11 of 11, by Kenpachi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cosmic wrote on 2024-04-13, 06:08:

So cool! The Asus Eee PC was one of the first netbooks. I remember being blown away by how small they were when new. I don't own one so I can't test the tool but still wanted to comment some appreciation. I have a slightly later netbook with an Atom CPU that is running as a low power server to this day, easily 10+ years of service. : )

Hi Cosmic,
Sorry i missed your message, i got caught up looking into resolution and pixel stretching.
Yeah they certainly have their charm, and my daughter loves it.
That's pretty cool! They are pretty handy and still tick a lot of boxes for specific applications! And good reliability by the sound of it!
I had a Samsung at the time, and it saw a lot more travel than any of my other tech, well except my PSP...
I guess tablets have kinda taken over these days... I'm just not a fan of touchscreens!