VOGONS

First post, by zool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I am trying to install 3D Duke Nukem.
When I click "Install.exe" to install, the screen goes into full DOS mode (black screen) and does not display anything. There is a process that takes 100% cpu usage. I have to kill it to stop it.

I am using Windows XP Home (SP2).
1000 megahertz Intel Pentium III Mobile
512 Megabytes Installed Memory
Board: COMPAQ 0726h
No graphics card.
Mobility Radeon [Display adapter]

Thankx in advance.

Reply 1 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should try DOSBox. Best thing since sliced bread.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 9, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DosBox probably won't work at a fast enough speed on your machine to play Duke Nukem 3D. Instead of using that or the NTVDM, I'd suggest using a sourceport instead, such as Eduke 32 or JFDuke3D. To use them, you just have to extract them to a folder, and then copy over the DUKE3D.GRP file from your Duke Nukem 3D cd. Enjoy. 😁

Reply 3 of 9, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

zool did you get DN3D to install yet? If not please post more info I.E., are trying to install from CD, if so, drive letter of CD drive, drive you are attempting to install to, etc.

I bought a used Compaq laptop with similar specs as yours except mine is 1200 MHz and I can tell you from experience that it doesn't have the horsepower to run DOSBOX with DN3D. As mr_bigmouth_502 pointed out you're better off running one of the afore mentioned 32 bit ports which offer much better graphics and performance.

You won't be able to use either of those until you successfully install the DOS version of DN3D in XP and for that you will need DOSBOX.

Reply 5 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

But of course you CAN use dosbox to play it.

Reply 6 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:

It's also the only way to play 1.3D with the double kick and old 1.3d bugs and limits etc.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 9, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wd wrote:

You certainly can play DN3D in DOSBox - just not on the PC zool has. One of my laptops is an older beast with similar specs as zool's and DOSBOX can barely run Lemmings. DN3D choked.

Sune Salminen wrote:

You don't need DOSBox to run Duke Nukem 3D in Windows XP.

http://www.rancidmeat.com/project.php3?id=1
http://eduke32.com/

All the 32-bit ports I have tried including eduke32 have the requirement that you have DN3D already installed on your system. zool is having problems installing DN3D on his PC so thought he could probably use DOSBox to install it on his low-spec PC and then install one of the 32-bit ports to play it in XP. The 32-bit version runs fine on my old Compaq.

Reply 8 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't even need DOS to install it. I remember the files already being plain out there on the CD uncompressed - just take the .GRP file and shove that in a source port.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You certainly can play DN3D in DOSBox - just not on the PC zool has.

Should be playable there in the 320x200 mode, so what you want more.