VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BDNate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember playing this parody game when it first came out a while ago but I just recently tried to play it again using a current version of dosbox and it doesnt seem to want to start. I'm not sure if anyone else has played this game but its a pretty funny parody of the quest for glory series (my favorite adventure game series). Any suggestions would be great, thanks for the hard work dosbox guys.

Last edited by BDNate on 2010-08-03, 23:37. Edited 1 time in total.

AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core
Nvidia GeForce 260 GTX
ECS A780GM-A Ultra Motherboard
4gb corsair 6400C5PRO
Windows 7 Ultimate

Reply 2 of 12, by BDNate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are 2 versions, the windows version hasn't worked in a while, at least for me, i figure the dos version is the best bet. I attached a pic of the message I get when i try to execute it if this helps. Thanks.

Attachments

• QG412 error.jpg
    Filename
    QG412 error.jpg
    File size
    131.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core
Nvidia GeForce 260 GTX
ECS A780GM-A Ultra Motherboard
4gb corsair 6400C5PRO
Windows 7 Ultimate

Reply 4 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's been a while since I poked at it, but as I recall you can download the Windows version of AGS 2.23, point it at the DOS executable for QFG 4.5, and be on your way.

I also recall that the game is apparently a little bit broken even when you can get it running correctly.

Reply 5 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

give me a DOS version download link and I will try it for you on a real machine 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it just crashes with the exact same errors like DOSbox. All are the same, numbers , addresses etc...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I see the problem. You downloaded cwsdpmi like the game told you to, right? The first Google hit for cwsdpmi (after Wikipedia) is for http://www.dbit.com/pub/cwsdpmi/ . That is version 4. I get the crash in DOSBox with that version too.

Version 5 works, and so does version 7. The link to the binary distribution is right at the top of the page.
http://homer.rice.edu/~sandmann/cwsdpmi/index.html
(By the way, it takes quite a while to start up.)

Reply 10 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there is no cwsdpmi with the game and it did not complain about it when I run it...