VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retroplayusb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I'd like to share my project with you all here at Vogons because I think that my gaming system on a flash drive is the perfect fit for Vogons since this forum has to do with Classic games and such.

Retroplay USB is a gaming system powered by a minimalistic FreeDOS core and it is a 100% menu driven 100% easy to use and 100% free to use gaming system that runs entirely from a USB flash drive or other USB drive such as a hard drive etc.

There are currently 30 games available and more will be coming towards December for Retroplay USB
all games are shareware/freeware/demo versions and all games are easily installable into Retroplay USB by just dropping the downloaded Game file into one of the eight game slots on the USB drive.

If anyone has any game suggestions for Retroplay we will consider all suggestions.

Retroplay USB is a good alternative to Dos emulators because
-It is way more easy to use and even People that are not so computer literate can use Retroplay
-All games are easily installed into Retroplay just by placing one file into a numbered folder called a game slot
-No difficult configuration files or Dos commands needed to use Retroplay USB
-Universal sound support is guaranteed with all games downloaded off the website
-No previous Dos experience is needed in order to use or install Retroplay USB

A little video i made of this is on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbiso0BBXys
my Website for this is at www.retroplayusb.com

If anyone has any questions or comments or would be interested in being a beta tester feel free to post here.

Reply 1 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Two questions:

- What sound cards are supported? The site says that only a PC Speaker is needed. "Universal sound support" sounds like a sound emulation to me, and for that some kind of drivers would be needed (reducing base memory, and or giving some EMM386 issues).

- The site says that no USB devices are supported (only keyboard/mouses, if the BIOS options are enabled). That means that users would need DB15 joysticks (and that means buying the motherboard options, or old sound cards with joystick connector). USB joysticks will be supported?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 7, by retroplayusb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At the time being only the internal pc beeper is the only sound option and as far as no USB devices being supported people can either set the USB Legacy options in their Bios or use a PS/2 to USB converter those can be found with keyboards and mice that are sold as PS/2 or at the Dollarama and other dollar stores etc. and also I'm Pretty sure the Source has them too.

Around December of 2010 I will be working on a new version can't reveal to much about it now but it will have full Soundblaster support on all of todays modern sound cards and will also have full USB support.
We will be looking for beta testers for the new version If anyone is interested they can fill out an application at http://beta.retroplayusb.com and all submissions will be considered for December

Reply 3 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the idea!

Having played around with FreeDOS on new machines, the lack of sound is a real pain. And you also have the speed issue. A lot of games won't run on a current machine.

However there are tools that disable L1 cache. I tried this on a netbook and it works just fine. Slows it down to a 386. So this might be something for your project.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retroplayusb wrote:

Interesting. I'v heard of MoSlo but haven't included it because I want something that doesn't run the risk of damaging someones PC by underclocking it.

The clock speed remains the same. You simply disable the internal cache in the cpu.

Reply 7 of 7, by retroplayusb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok cool if i can find a free or open source slow down tool i might include it.

Currently i am using PatchCRT to patch games that don't run cause of Error 200 errors like games like Jazz Jackrabbit and others.