VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retroplayusb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I am scripting a DOS batch file and I want this to be able to change the settings in the Cmos.
I want to do this because I don't want users of the particular computer to be changing settings in Bios just only certain settings.

Is there a way or a DOS program i can use that will change these settings.

I am also interested in setting the Cmos clock from DOS so i can set the date and time and then have that same Date and Time settings in the bios so that other operating systems installed on the computer can use the same time.

Reply 1 of 8, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's possible to change the CMOS time/date from DOS - I know tools that do it, but not any that let you do it from a batch file to a desired date/time. It's well possible that the built-in time and date commands of DOS can do this on systems with a RTC, but I don't recall.

As for changing CMOS settings, your BIOS maker would have had to have released a tool that does this for DOS, otherwise I'm afraid not. On Compaq systems there are tools for Win3x that can change many of the CMOS settings, for example.

Reply 5 of 8, by retroplayusb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Changes to things like the Time and Date and Onboard device configuration such as Sound and MAC Address and Power on after power failure settings
and maybe any others that would be useful

Reply 7 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your best option is probably to find ways to do what you want outside of the BIOS. Of course date/time can be set. If you are talking about a non plug and play OS like DOS you could just us alternate confg.sys and autoexec.bat files to load or not load drivers for the hardware that you wish to enable/disable, but that would not free up the IRQs that they use, if that is important. I don't think that there is anyway to change the MAC address without changing the hardware regardless.

Reply 8 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I remember, writing to port 70/71h could write data to the CMOS, but keep in mind some things:
- Different BIOS has different allocation for that data.
- I guess that changes has no effect until next reboot.
- You must update the data AND the checksum, or you'll get an error in the next reboot.

Ralf Brown's interrupt list documented some generic data, but things may be different in your PC.

Also, some NICs allow MAC changes via specific tools. Check your NIC vendor, maybe if has some tool of that kind.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!