VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RexFesto696

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ordered DOOM Registered v1.1 from a guy on Amazon and it just came in the mail today. I'm trying to get it to work on my Windows 98 computer under pure DOS mode, because it won't run in Windows mode.

When I run the game with no sound or music, it starts up normally and gets ingame. However, when I configure Sound Blaster for sound (which is my only option because I don't have Ultrasound on the machine and I don't want PC Speaker), it gives me the following message at startup:
DOS/4GW Professional Fatal error: Transfer stack overflow
It then freezes the computer and I have to restart.

The other DOOM games I have (Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II) have this same problem as well. Is there any way to fix it?

Reply 1 of 4, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RexFesto696 wrote:
I ordered DOOM Registered v1.1 from a guy on Amazon and it just came in the mail today. I'm trying to get it to work on my Windo […]
Show full quote

I ordered DOOM Registered v1.1 from a guy on Amazon and it just came in the mail today. I'm trying to get it to work on my Windows 98 computer under pure DOS mode, because it won't run in Windows mode.

When I run the game with no sound or music, it starts up normally and gets ingame. However, when I configure Sound Blaster for sound (which is my only option because I don't have Ultrasound on the machine and I don't want PC Speaker), it gives me the following message at startup:
DOS/4GW Professional Fatal error: Transfer stack overflow
It then freezes the computer and I have to restart.

The other DOOM games I have (Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II) have this same problem as well. Is there any way to fix it?

Misconfigured/conflicting IRQ's? Or could be bad RAM. I had an issue where things would be working fine but there would always be corruption in copying data. Replaced the RAM and it went away.