VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate thing to ask or not, but I'll ask it anyway...

I found my Tie Fighter Floppy disk set the other day. It's legit, box and manual, copy protection codes, etc...

I went to try and install it, and checked my disks out beforehand, Disks 1-3 work OK, however Disk 4 and 5 have unrecoverable read errors and can't be used.

So my question is this, does anyone know where I might find floppy images for disks 4 and 5 of Tie Fighter? I know the Collectors Edition CDROM is easy enough to find, but I was hoping to rock it old school with some Retro Floppy-version action.

In any case, thanks for any suggestions.

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 1 of 12, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got it, nm

= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =

Reply 4 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolano wrote:

This reminds me, it's a shame that Disk Recovery PAR archive never worked out.

I was sad to take the site down after running it for 2 years but there was never any interest. Perhaps if the process had been wrapped up in a nice executable style backup with some sort of auto submission people would have participated.

There were problems I discovered also while running the site, the biggest being that often times there were multiple versions of the games and it wasn't always easy to tell the versions apart. So creating the backups as well as choosing which ones you needed to restore wasn't always obvious.

Another problem of course was with non-dos or copy protected disks, those couldn't be backed up by a traditional PAR of the data on the disk. Since that time though this device : http://www.kryoflux.com/ has come out and really would have been he best way to provide PAR backups though then there would have been even less users contributing to the archive if that was a requirement.

As it was in 2 years no one but myself contributed to the archive. I still have all the PARs of course for my personal back ups but I never had Tie Fighter so I can't help with that one.

Reply 6 of 12, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote:

I was sad to take the site down after running it for 2 years but there was never any interest. Perhaps if the process had been wrapped up in a nice executable style backup with some sort of auto submission people would have participated.

I can understand. I'm guessing the main issue was that such is a fairly niche segment of an already niche area of interest. I'm guessing there are probably a few communities that would be willing to take up the mantle if you were willing to provide the former content.

Reply 7 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, I have the whole site saved but the software would be really outdated. You would probably be better off with just the PAR files and the batch file with the settings i used to create them.

Im certainly willing to share whatever, minus the user accounts obviously.

Reply 9 of 12, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a similar event happen to my Doom II floppies. I ended up biting the bullet and buying a copy of Doom 1, 2, and Final complete with Master Levels. However, I tried very hard to find a copy of the original v.1.9 engine by Id Software, as Team TNT's Boom 2.02 doesn't like my Gravis Ultrasound. 🙁

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 10 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmrydholm wrote:

However, I tried very hard to find a copy of the original v.1.9 engine by Id Software, as Team TNT's Boom 2.02 doesn't like my Gravis Ultrasound. 🙁

You can still use the Doom 1.9 shareware exe, it'll recognize your Doom 2 and play it as Doom 2

Only problem is that being used with Ultimate Doom since that's also 1.9 but a later one with new map definitions. Final Doom is also problematic with that also

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 12, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About kryoflux, LGR made a review about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqLv8d-W-9c&li … =7&feature=plcp

Though it is rather expensive for just backupping only one game (if it's even possible).

I would suggest to get the collectors cdrom instead, it's cheap, easy to get and has more campaigns too I think. Oooorrrr...., write to LucasArts and ask for disk replacement. 😁

Reply 12 of 12, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Procyon wrote:
About kryoflux, LGR made a review about it. […]
Show full quote

About kryoflux, LGR made a review about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqLv8d-W-9c&li … =7&feature=plcp

Though it is rather expensive for just backupping only one game (if it's even possible).

I would suggest to get the collectors cdrom instead, it's cheap, easy to get and has more campaigns too I think. Oooorrrr...., write to LucasArts and ask for disk replacement. 😁

I watched that LGR video, looks like a slick device, though for 3.5"s I have a USB Floppy that WinImage works just fine with.

As for Tie Fighter, you can find the CDROM version ISO and a ready to extract and play version of the Floppy edition on various abandonware sites, but for me it was a matter that I had the original box, manual, floppies that I'd had since I was 16, but with two bad disks. It was a matter of sentimental interest that I wanted a working floppy set to play the game with as I did back then, and make the package feel whole again.

Thanks to an anonymous donor I was able to get the missing floppy images, which worked perfectly with my remaining real disks and I was able to play it again. 😀

That said, I really really really have an incredible distaste for the shoddy reliability of the MF2HD floppy format. Most of my 5.25"'s and MF2DD floppies work fine, but 1.44MB's? Forget it, theres a bad disk in every set. I'm not even going to try and see if my Win95 13 disk upgrade still works...

= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =