Rank

Compaq Armada 1700 ,Here are the laptop specifications

Processor Intel Pentium II 266.0 MHz
Memory 64.0 MB
Hard Drive 4.1 GB
Operating System - None
Display Type 12.1 in CSTN passive matrix Integrated
Max Resolution 1024 x 768 ( XGA )
Graphics Processor PCI - C&T 65555 <--- 2 MB VIDEO, IT DOESN'T HAVE 3D ACCELERATION!!!
Optical Drive 1.0 x CD-ROM - Integrated

im curious will games like Quake , Quake 2 , Duke Nukem 3d work on this system? and im planning to buy it for 40 bucks 😀) 😊

Reply 3 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The overwhelming majority of DOS games do not use 3D acceleration. The DOS version of Duke Nukem 3D, for instance, is entirely software-rendered.

VESA Fix Utility Listing (for old video cards) suggests UniVBE can be used to provide VESA support on that chipset, which is probably the most important thing as far as DOS graphics go.

Reply 4 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

$40?? Our ancient Core Duo\C2D laptops from 2006 at work are almost at the $100 selling point....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 17, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robi4never wrote:

Display Type 12.1 in CSTN passive matrix Integrated

The passive LCD display most likely will ruin your experience with FPS games. The response time of CSTNs is about ten times as long as modern TFTs.
You might want to connect an external monitor to play games on this laptop.

Reply 6 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

C&T 65555 has terrible VESA support and Scitech Display Doctor can't help it much. It's also rather slow, unless it's in Windows 2000, where it seems to work faster for some reason.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 17, by Robi4never

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How long would that be, is it 0-1-1.5-2 seconds or 3-4 because i can live with 1 second response time? and this graphics card 65555 could it run anything besides DOS-based games? some games from win 98 era like deus ex?

Reply 8 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Deus Ex absolutely requires and relies on 3d accelleration (ok it DOES have a software renderer, but the game urges you to not use that!!), not to mention it's quite ram intensive, so forget about any UnrealEngine game in software on that slow of a CPU/little ram, ESPECIALLY with CT65555 since that handles 16bpp rather poorly. It's no s3 Trio.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 17, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robi4never wrote:

How long would that be, is it 0-1-1.5-2 seconds or 3-4 because i can live with 1 second response time?

No, it would be in the tenths of seconds range, which is still much too slow for games. It may be useable for adventures and other stuff with static screen content, but as soon as something moves, it gets very blurry.
Really, this laptop probably has the worst screen possible to play Quake on.

Reply 10 of 17, by EZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Will any dos game work on THIS LAPTOP!!!

Definately! you can install windows 98 "dual boot" with dos, by powertoys (installed seperately on a windows 98 cd). The ESS1688http://sound-drivers.org/?id=9249&comp=ESS%20 … name=esscfg.zip should enable you to play many dos games, though I'm not sure if all will work, some games won't work with memory managers, and that might very well be necessary for sound blaster emulation. Quake, Doom, Duke3D will work anyway though. They all got memory managers. Not sure about Wolfenstein 3D though.

Reply 13 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EZ wrote:

With this sound card you can even enable wavetable emulation! Which sounds neat with Duke3d (in setup, choose AWE32 to enable this)

ESS1688 isn't a Sound Blaster AWE32/64, and you're probably thinking of General MIDI -> Microsoft Synthesizer

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 17, by EZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
EZ wrote:

you can install windows 98 "dual boot" with dos, by powertoys (installed seperately on a windows 98 cd).

What exactly are you talking about?

http://threeclicks.com/powertoys.htm

A part of Powertoys, TweakUI, gives you the option to configure Windows 98 to boot directly to real DOS instead of Windows. If you define a menu in the config.sys/autoexec.bat you can choose to start windows or dos, ergo "dual boot".

Reply 15 of 17, by EZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:
EZ wrote:

With this sound card you can even enable wavetable emulation! Which sounds neat with Duke3d (in setup, choose AWE32 to enable this)

ESS1688 isn't a Sound Blaster AWE32/64, and you're probably thinking of General MIDI -> Microsoft Synthesizer

As I read it somewhere, there was a DOS program that emulates a wavetable card. Might be General Midi as well indeed.

Reply 16 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EZ wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
EZ wrote:

you can install windows 98 "dual boot" with dos, by powertoys (installed seperately on a windows 98 cd).

A part of Powertoys, TweakUI, gives you the option to configure Windows 98 to boot directly to real DOS instead of Windows.

Oh, TweakUI! I guess I forgot that was included on the Windows 98 CD (but it was). Anyway, all it really does is change some options in MSDOS.SYS, which is easy enough to do with Notepad if you know where to look.

Reply 17 of 17, by EZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
EZ wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

A part of Powertoys, TweakUI, gives you the option to configure Windows 98 to boot directly to real DOS instead of Windows.

Oh, TweakUI! I guess I forgot that was included on the Windows 98 CD (but it was). Anyway, all it really does is change some options in MSDOS.SYS, which is easy enough to do with Notepad if you know where to look.

Never knew that 😀 Though I have edited/hexedited quite a few config files in my life...