VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good morning folks,

I've got a P1 233 running on a GA-586TX mobo, 32mb ram with a Verite 2100 on Win98se.

I try to run vquake and the moment it goes to execute it, my whole system locks up & I can only do a hard reset to get out of it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I also have a voodoo1 installed, which runs quake just fine. But I want to get vquake up & running.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 1 of 4, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

funny you should post about this as I've just started playing with vquake myself. I'm running a amd k6-3+ at 560mhz with 512mb ram a Verite 2100 and also win 98se

for me the game loads and runs but it locks up when I go to exit the game. I hit Y to exit and the screen goes black and thats it and like you the only way I can get out is to hard reset. another issue is since the first time I tried running Vquake i have no sound in the game. I had sound prior to running Vquake when i ran winquake but after the first time running vquake I cant get any sound in vquake or winquake. its really really weird.

GLquake though I cant get to run at all. just locks up like yours when trying vquake. it all seems buggy as hell.

Reply 2 of 4, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hey, what kind of sound card are you using?

I was using a Diamond Monster mx300 and after switching to a generic ISA SB16 card I now get sound in Vquake and it doesn't crash on exiting.

Reply 3 of 4, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a Creative AudioBlaster16 PCI/Vibra 128 PCI. I don't have any ISA sound cards to test, but I'll try a different PCI one.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 4 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try running with only the Verite card in the system. Also, what is in your config.sys and autoexec.bat?

You may also want to try Rendition's DMA test. It's a DOS utility that tests the motherboard's compatibility with PCI DMA transfers. If you don't have the program, I'm sure I put it on VOGONSdrivers.