VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok so I have quake 1, registered version 2.01 I think. And when I start it up it gives me a register screen saying that I can order all the episodes, yet it's the retail copy, I thought the retail copy had all the episodes. It also has a code on the back that is says "source code" what gives?

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 2 of 16, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Huh. Weird. Soooo how do I know if I'm getting a real retail copy when I buy it on amazon or eBay?

Reply 3 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone tried the Stream version? Is it based on DOSBox and does it work on a DOS PC?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 16, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Has anyone tried the Stream version? Is it based on DOSBox and does it work on a DOS PC?

That's not Quake, but WinQuake/GLQuake/Quakeworld. But I guess you could get some DOS binaries from a patch and "attach" them to steam data files.

Sorry, I was wrong. A DOS executable is included, but not listed on steam options. It works with DOSBox, but it complains about the CD (=no music).

Last edited by Zup on 2014-10-01, 15:51. Edited 1 time in total.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see, thank you for looking into this!

Another question, does GLQuake also play CD Audio tracks when you have the original disc?

Reply 8 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool got to get me one. I did buy Quake on eBay but it turned out to be the Amiga version 🤣 Seller didn't know.

Reply 14 of 16, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Brain fart, steam wraps quake in dosbox. Anywho, I figured out the error. I was running shareware quake. 😦 Registered quake was in quake_1 folder not the quake folder.