VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shrykull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently purchased a copy of Redguard off of amazon.com and finally managed to get it working with Glidos on windows 7 x64. However I cannot get the cutscenes or music to play in the game. I opened the SYSTEM ini and changed the disc drive to E: to match my disk drive but the intro still will not play. Does anyone have any tips on how to get this working??

Reply 2 of 11, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used i5comp to install the game. Then I use DOSBox 0.74 to play the software version or DOSBox Daum to play the 3Dfx version. Both versions run without any problems on my Windows 7 PC, with intro/cutscenes and music.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 3 of 11, by Shrykull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded i5comp but the instructions on how to use this method seem vague. Could you please explain more clearly how to do this? Do I run the i5comp application through Dosbox? and that will run a different kind of installer?

Reply 4 of 11, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For music and cutscenes - start the game with the 2nd cd in the drive. The 1st cd don't have them.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 5 of 11, by Shrykull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

For music and cutscenes - start the game with the 2nd cd in the drive. The 1st cd don't have them.

I have already done this:( at fiest it was not working and I realized I had to open the SYSTEM.ini because my disc drive was E:\ and the installer had set it to D:\. Even after fixing the .ini and double checking I had inserted the correct disc the intro and cut scenes would still not play. and I still get no music:(

Reply 6 of 11, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shrykull wrote:

I downloaded i5comp but the instructions on how to use this method seem vague. Could you please explain more clearly how to do this? Do I run the i5comp application through Dosbox? and that will run a different kind of installer?

It's a Windows executable that extracts the necessary files from the installation CD. Just put the i5comp files in a folder where you want to install the game and your Redguard installation CD in your CD/DVD drive.

Run these commands to install the software renderer version

i5comp x -r -g"Common Files" E:\data1.cab
copy E:\rg.exe && i5comp x -r -g"Xngine Art" E:\data1.cab

or these to install the 3Dfx version.

copy E:\rgfx.exe && i5comp x -r -g"3DFX Art" E:\data1.cab

Replace E:\ with your CD/DVD drive letter.

Reply 8 of 11, by Shrykull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zirkoni wrote:
It's a Windows executable that extracts the necessary files from the installation CD. Just put the i5comp files in a folder wher […]
Show full quote
Shrykull wrote:

It's a Windows executable that extracts the necessary files from the installation CD. Just put the i5comp files in a folder where you want to install the game and your Redguard installation CD in your CD/DVD drive.

Run these commands to install the software renderer version

copy E:\rg.exe && i5comp x -r -g"Xngine Art" E:\data1.cab

or these to install the 3Dfx version.

copy E:\rgfx.exe && i5comp x -r -g"3DFX Art" E:\data1.cab

Replace E:\ with your CD/DVD drive letter.

So I extract the i5comp files to C:\Games\Redguard which at the moment is an empty folder I created because thats where i want to install the game. than enter the above two commands into my command prompt with the install disc in my drive? and it will force the game to install? So far I can't even get i5comp to run or do anything when i click on it. I'm not sure if I am still missing something but I can't get it to work.

Reply 9 of 11, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shrykull wrote:

So I extract the i5comp files to C:\Games\Redguard which at the moment is an empty folder I created because thats where i want to install the game.

Yes.

Shrykull wrote:

than enter the above two commands into my command prompt with the install disc in my drive?

Right (or copy/paste the commands in a batch script).

Shrykull wrote:

and it will force the game to install? So far I can't even get i5comp to run or do anything when i click on it. I'm not sure if I am still missing something but I can't get it to work.

i5comp.exe extracts the game files from the data1.cab archive just like the installer on the CD. If you already have installed the game succesfully than you don't necessarily need to use i5comp, just run the game in DOSBox.

It's a command line program. So, clicking it doesn't do anything (except maybe the Windows command prompt shows up and closes immediately).

Reply 10 of 11, by Shrykull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I have been able to get the game running through dosbox already:/ I did manage to get i5comp running and installed the game that way but I still have the same issue getting no music and no citscenes:(