VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just installed my original floppy copy of Wolfenstein 3D on a Sega/IBM Teradrive PC (80286-10mhz), but its running laggy and slow. Is there any way to improve the gameplay other than making the screen box smaller?.
Thanks in advance for any help.

DSC04084_zpsibkgavvu.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For running wolfenstein 3d smoothly on a 286 system, you need at least an 286 - 16Mhz processor.. Anything beneath it would require system adjustments

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 10, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I played it on a 286-16 back then... but now, after getting different 286-16 I found out I acutally had Octek Fox II 286-16, that is one of the fastest 286 motherboards and I'm not surprised it played many games quite well back then (Wolf3D, PoP 1 & 2, Dune 2...). The boards I have now are at least 30% slower on the same clock... and I'm still searching for a working Octek Fox II board 😉

Last edited by kixs on 2015-05-14, 19:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Although the minimum system requirements for Wolfenstein 3D is a 286 CPU, I would recommend a 386 SX-25 or faster for optimum gamplay.
I can think of so many examples of minimum system requirements being quoted for software but, when you try to run it on those minimum specifications, you soon realise that it can hardly keep up.
For example:
Doom 1 - minimum is a 386 CPU but, for optimum gamplay, I would recommend a 486 DX2-66
Windows 95 - Microsoft quoted a minimum requirement of any 386 DX CPU with 4 MB of RAM. Try playing a Windows 95 game, apart from Solitaire, on a 386 DX-25 (you'd probably end up bashing in the keyboard with the mouse out of frustration 😀).

Reply 5 of 10, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
5u3 wrote:

Install it on the Amstrad Mega PC instead, that one should be fast enough for full-screen Wolf3D 😀

Installed a disc version on that one and it flies there. Although that version seems to be missing the hidden Episode 1 floor 10 mission for some reason, what da?...

Robin4 wrote:

For running wolfenstein 3d smoothly on a 286 system, you need at least an 286 - 16Mhz processor.. Anything beneath it would require system adjustments

jesolo wrote:

Although the minimum system requirements for Wolfenstein 3D is a 286 CPU, I would recommend a 386 SX-25 or faster for optimum gamplay.
I can think of so many examples of minimum system requirements being quoted for software but, when you try to run it on those minimum specifications, you soon realise that it can hardly keep up.

Hmmm, that's what I thought. I mean it plays, its just a bit sluggish 😵

Reply 7 of 10, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even if the CPU is a bit slow for Wolf3D: Is it possible that the on-board VGA is slow enough to slow down the system further? I couldn't find out anything about the video chipset, just that it is on-board (any maybe not even SVGA). But than it probably isn't worth ugrading the machine with an ISA VGA.

Reply 8 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember playing it on a 286 12mhz when it came out. Don't remember it being sluggish but the only other system I'd every seen it played on at the time was at a store as a demo.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline