VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my P3 rig with 256 MB of RAM, if I start Wolfenstein 3D up, it doesn't show the full RAM on the main section. In my config.sys I have himem.sys and emm386 with the RAM switch loaded.

Reply 3 of 13, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wolf3D is a 286 application. A 286 can only support 16 MB of memory max.
So it probably simply cannot determine the actual amount of memory. Does it happen to report 16 MB?
It could also be using the XMS 2.0 API for himem.sys, which is limited to 64 MB.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 13, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:

On my P3 rig with 256 MB of RAM, if I start Wolfenstein 3D up, it doesn't show the full RAM on the main section. In my config.sys I have himem.sys and emm386 with the RAM switch loaded.

What else is loaded?

According to Wolfenstein website, it needs 570KB to work properly, and you can check the free memory with "MEM /C" command.

Reply 6 of 13, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jepael wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

What else is loaded?

According to Wolfenstein website, it needs 570KB to work properly, and you can check the free memory with "MEM /C" command.

AWE64 Gold DOS drivers and default CD Drive drivers

Reply 7 of 13, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:

AWE64 Gold DOS drivers and default CD Drive drivers

Well that explains it then. Of course I still don't know if you have loaded those drivers into conventional memory, high memory area (HMA) or upper memory blocks (UMB).

If it works, don't do anything.
If it does not work, don't load CD drivers, or load them into HMA or UMB.

Reply 10 of 13, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Autoexec.bat is nothing but AWE64 Gold with CTCM and Aweutil /s, mouse.com, and MSCDEX.EXE.
Config.sys:
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE RAM
DEVICEHIGH=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001

Reply 11 of 13, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Autoexec.bat is nothing but AWE64 Gold with CTCM and Aweutil /s, mouse.com, and MSCDEX.EXE.

See, this is why you should just paste the file instead of describing it.
There are details not described. For example, mouse and mscdex should be loaded with lh.

lh mouse.com
lh mscdex.exe /params

Also, EMM386.EXE NOEMS should give you more memory. It disables EMS, which is rarely needed.

What version of DOS and Windows is it? Are you running the game from Windows?

Reply 12 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:

It only goes up to 288 (second highest) out of the 320 (highest) in KB I assume.

That is quite standard avail. memory. Don't bother with it.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 13 of 13, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Azarien wrote:
See, this is why you should just paste the file instead of describing it. There are details not described. For example, mouse an […]
Show full quote

See, this is why you should just paste the file instead of describing it.
There are details not described. For example, mouse and mscdex should be loaded with lh.

lh mouse.com
lh mscdex.exe /params

Also, EMM386.EXE NOEMS should give you more memory. It disables EMS, which is rarely needed.

What version of DOS and Windows is it? Are you running the game from Windows?

DOS, and i'm just gonna leave it.