VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by maddrock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just downloaded Dosbox so I can play some of the games I remember when I was young, and the first one on my list is Kings Quest 7 by Sierra.
However when I load the install file on Dosbox, and use the option 'use your machines extra memory' (which seems to be the only option i can use) I get the screen i've saved as an attachment:

KQ7DOS.png
Filename
KQ7DOS.png
File size
21.26 KiB
Views
File comment
screenshot
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Then it just exits the installer. How do I get past this bit? Apologies if its an obvious question, I'm new to Dosbox.

I'm using Windows 10 btw!

9M3NTVu.png

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When it comes to Sierra games, you'll probably want to use the installers from Sierrahelp. Quick and easy.
http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/NewSier … Installers.html

Reply 2 of 4, by maddrock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, though it asks for the CD location and I only have virtual files, no actual disk. I tried converting them into an ISO and mounting it but it didn't recognise it!

9M3NTVu.png

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maddrock wrote:

I only have virtual files, no actual disk.

So, you downloaded this illegally from somewhere? You can obtain a legal copy from https://www.gog.com/game/kings_quest_7_8 that should work without any problems.

Otherwise, it is generally pointless to attempt any troubleshooting as your "virtual files" may be incomplete or otherwise corrupted.

Reply 4 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Otherwise, it is generally pointless to attempt any troubleshooting as your "virtual files" may be incomplete or otherwise corrupted.

Which is probably the reason for the problem you are having.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers