VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Faceless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well a couple of years ago bought Toonstruck from Ebay and have never been able to play it, so I stuck it on a shelf and didn't really know what I could do.

Then I found DosBox which I love 😀 because I am a big fan of some really old games that can't run on XP.

When I first tried Toonstruck I was very dissapointed that it didn't work on DosBox and all I could do was wait until it was supported.

Then I read up (on these forums) about VDMSound and nolfb.com and my hopes were once again raised.

However this method didn't work for me, and also didn't work for other people on these forums. So I (and some of you) were once again left waiting for DosBox to support the game...

However I have discovered a way to play this game, perfectly, full resolution, full sound in all its glory 😀

Here's how I did it.

First of all you are gonna need a few proggies.

What you will need:
Microsoft Virtual PC from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/

Alcohol 120% (or any prog that can make ISO images. And I mean ISO, not BIN or IMG or NRG it has to be ISO as that is all VPC accepts) from http://trial.alcohol-soft.com/en/

The installation CD of an old OS (I used windows 98 SE).

STEP 1 - SETTING UP VIRTUAL PC
----------------------------------------
Install Virtual PC. For people worried about speed emulating a PC there is no need. On my 2.4ghz the emulated PC runs at full speed.

Setup VPC with the defaults (or change things if you like, I used the defaults).

I will walk you through setting up and getting Windows 98 setup started (pro's can skip this).

First you must boot (in VPC) from your Win98 CD.

At the menu choose "Start without CD-rom support".

When its loaded you must run "fdisk" to set up your HD.

Enable large drive support when it asks.

Create a Primary Dos Partition but DO NOT use the maximum amout of space (it defaults to this). If you do this it will consume the entire free space on the drive which contains you virtual HD. Just set the size to about 500mb (Win98 uses about 250mb).

Once done reboot and this time from the menu (booted from CD) choose "Run Windows setup from CD". This will allow you to first format the drive (you MUST do this). Once done Windows will install and set itself up. Once done, you now have a fully working old OS inside XP running at full speed and with sound.

STEP 2 - CREATING ISO'S OF YOUR DISCS
--------------------------------------------------
OK now you will need to create an ISO of your Toonstruck CD's. I have heard that running from CD's can cause crashes (I haven't tried so I don't know, but running from ISO's is perfect).

To do this download Alcohol 120%, make sure your Toonstruck CD is in the drive and click on "Image making wizard". Choose the correct source CD drive and whatever speed you want.

Clear all check boxes or just choose "normal cd" from the drop down menu. All checkboxes must be cleared or you wont be allowed to dump the disc to ISO format.

STEP 3 - RUNNING TOONSTRUCK
--------------------------------------
Unfortunately, this is where the annoying problems come in (at least they did for me). They are nothing that will stop you from playing the game, they are just very annoying.

From the CD menu on VPC choose "Capture ISO", and point it to your ISO of disc 1.

The auto load menu will appear, click INSTALL.

Now you may run into your first "annoying" problem. You should see a dos installation screen that should be simple enough to understand. However you may find that you keyboard doesn't work. Unfortunately the only way to over come this is to close the install program and run it again. You have to keep doing this, and eventually the keyboard will work.

Once it does the installation will be effortless, everything will work fine.

I don't know if the sound on VPC is emulated (probably), or if it uses settings from your actuall sound card but here is what worked for me on the sound settings: Choose "Sound Blaster" with 220, 7, 1.

Once installed you are ready to run the game... however this is where the second annoying problem comes into play.

When you run the game you may find it crashes VPC and causes itself to reboot. All you can do is keep trying, the game will run its just a matter of chance. I would say it crashed about 3 times out of 5. I go to the installation directory and run toonstrk.bat (so far this hasn't crashed).

And there you have it, enjoy this great game, I certainly am 😀

Reply 1 of 21, by toonstruck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a heck of a lot of hard work just to get Toonstruck to work once out of every 5 crashes.

What we need is some sort of easier, more reliable solution.

Using NOLFB.COM and VDMSOUND does work perfectly in 320X200 but not 640X400. I wonder if there is anyway to make NOLFB.COM more compatible for Toonstruck.

emmmm...... I'm going to think about this one. I'm determined to get this game working with Windows XP properly!

"Welcome to TOONSTRUCK Heh heh heh heh hehhhhhhhhhh!"

Reply 3 of 21, by malcior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got Toonstruck working fine with Dosbox with no crashs (so far). Create a shortcut to dosbox on your desktop. Right click properties and add on to the end of your target line: - C:\ -c "mount D D:\ -t cdrom -usecd 2". Now use Dosbox to install and setup Toonstruck. When you have done that open the shortcut to dosbox, change dosbox to whatever directory you installed toonstruck into and play.

Reply 4 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

OBS: The -usecd 2 option will probably depend on how may CD/DVD drives you have. Use the mount -cd command to check the numbers.

More info on mount -cd here.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 21, by mr_white

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, i never played Toonstruck before so i was eager to get going. I downloaded Microsoft Virtual PC and installed windows98 on it. I installed Toonstruck as normal from the CD. It played with no problems at first...BUT THEN.... (Drum roll please) ... The sound would start scratching and sticking like a mofo, then i would have to save my game and restart virtual PC and sometimes the host computer too. Thats when i had the epethimy...or how ever you spel it...switch the audio to mono. Thats it. to get toonstruck's audio working 100% just chainge the details in your toonstruck.cfg

[DIGITAL]
DeviceName = Sound Blaster 16/AWE32
DeviceIRQ = 5
DeviceDMA = 5
DevicePort = 0x220
DeviceID = 0xe018
DeviceMonoID = 0xe017
Stereo = 0
TimerRate = 60
Flip = 0

Happy Gaming!

Reply 6 of 21, by zazapalooza

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got mine from ebgames and got it working like this:

1. copy act1, act2, and misc folders to your c:\burst\toonstrk
2. set your dosbox.conf like this

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true
[dosbox]
language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=16
[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x
[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=8000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20
[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10
[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=
[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050
[gus]
gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND
[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true
[bios]
joysticktype=2axis
[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled
[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
[ipx]
ipx=false
[autoexec]
mount c C:\
mount f C:\BURST\TOONSTRK -t cdrom
----------->8-----cut here--------8<---------

Movies delay a bit, but the sound is ok, and the game is playable.

Reply 7 of 21, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This thread is funny. It's located at the DOS section of the forum and none of the methods described here to run Toonstruck use MS-DOS at all. 😵

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 8 of 21, by stella6046

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi malcior please help me, when i try to install Toonstruck using DosBox at the installation drive i leave it as it is, on C: and when i press enter it says: Drive C does not exist or is not writeable. Have i done something wrong?

Reply 9 of 21, by dsxruler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi i managed to get it working weet as with dosbox.
I installed using:

"I've got Toonstruck working fine with Dosbox with no crashs (so far). Create a shortcut to dosbox on your desktop. Right click properties and add "on to the end of your target line: - C:\ -c "mount D D:\ -t cdrom -usecd 2". Now use Dosbox to install and setup Toonstruck. When you have done that open the shortcut to dosbox, change dosbox to whatever directory you installed toonstruck into and play."

and set my toonstruck sound settings to:

"to get toonstruck's audio working 100% just chainge the details in your toonstruck.cfg

[DIGITAL]
DeviceIRQ = 5
DeviceDMA = 5
DevicePort = 0x220
DeviceID = 0xe018
DeviceMonoID = 0xe017
Stereo = 0
TimerRate = 60
Flip = 0
"

and i set my dosbox settings to:

"set your dosbox.conf like this

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true
[dosbox]
language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=16
[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x
[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=auto
cycleup=500
cycledown=20
[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10
[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=
[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050
[gus]
gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND
[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true
[bios]
joysticktype=2axis
[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled
[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
[ipx]
ipx=false
[autoexec]
mount c C:\
mount f C:\BURST\TOONSTRK -t cdrom
"

NOTE: the dosbox settings differ from zazapaloozas in the fact that it runs sweet in fullscreen mode, and the "cpu cycles" setting is set to auto.
works fine (finally!).

i have an athlon xp 3200+, 1gb ram, windows xp professional, ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb.

Reply 10 of 21, by dsxruler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi stella6046. i did it by:

"got Toonstruck working fine with Dosbox with no crashs (so far). Create a shortcut to dosbox on your desktop. Right click properties and add on to the end of your target line: - C:\ -c "mount D D:\ -t cdrom -usecd 2". (or however many cd drives u have, and the letter of ur cd drive) Now use Dosbox to install and setup Toonstruck. When you have done that open the shortcut to dosbox, change dosbox to whatever directory you installed toonstruck into and play."

when ur trying to install on c drive u get the message 'c drive not writeable etc..". before u go to install the program, create a folder in c drive called "games".
Then, in dosbox, type: mount c C:\games

Then when u go to install the game, the c drive will be writeable (the game will be installed into C:\games)

Reply 11 of 21, by Soelen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I made some experience about the configurations. Just insert those values into TOONSTRK.CFG which is in the toonstruck gamefolder (I tried it on xp and kubuntu 8.04 and on kubuntu you have to change the video values too because the toonstruck setup can't autoconfig your video card)

[DIGITAL]
DeviceIRQ = 5
DeviceDMA = 5
DevicePort = 0x220
DeviceID = 0xe018
DeviceMonoID = 0xe017
Stereo = 0
TimerRate = 60
Flip = 0

[VIDEO]
UniVBE = 1
Width = 640
Height = 400
PaletteWidth = 8
Linear = 1

It works perfect now. Enjoy.

Reply 13 of 21, by ZeebaEata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had sound breaking up in DOSBox 0.74 on Windows 7/64. Advice to increase TimerRate in TOONSTRK.CFG to 288 didn't help. What eventually helped me was switching the DOSBOX from fullscreen to windowed mode. Strange as it seems, but the sound got perfectly smooth with no freezes at all.

Reply 15 of 21, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

This should be in the DOSBox forum.

No it shouldn't, the first post uses MS Virtual PC. Two other people in the thread use Virtual PC. One person uses dosemu. A couple use DOSBox. One uses NTVDM (in WinXP 32-bit) with VDMSound and NOLFB.COM.

This is probably the best subforum for a thread like this, or maybe PC Emulation, but not DOSBox, due to how many different solutions people tried.

We could *maybe* split the DOSBox posts over to DOSBox forum and leave the rest.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 18 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm also surprised no one is moaning right now and telling us what a crime necroposting is.
Nine years sure are record-breaking, aren't they ? 😉
(No offence, though. This could have happened to anyone of us, incl. myself.)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//