VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is this the right place to ask which utilites (like dosbox) if any I should be using?

I'm trying to get fantasy General to run on my laptop. I was here a few years ago with questions about a few games, but I don't remember the answers and they likely don't apply to my new situation and the new versions available of utilities, anyway.

When I install the game, it complains I don't have enough extended memory, but the setup program runs, anyway. For the time being, I've set "no digital sound."

When I start the game with a batch file set to tun in Windows 95 compatibility mode, I get sound but no video that looks like the game. Instead, the display of the programs I already have open gets somewhat messed up (though generally still readable).

I'd post my hardware details, but I'll have to restart before I do that because Device Manager is something that <i>isn't</i> readable with the video messed up and I don't see any way to identify and shut down the non-working game. I'll be back in a few minutes.

Last edited by Barking Iguana on 2005-12-16, 22:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a Presario X1000 with a Pentium M 1300MHz. At least Device Manager says it's a Pentium M; the physical label attached to the machine, as well as the occasional box I've seen pop up, says it's got Centrino technology. Isn't that an alternative to the Pentium? Maybe not. I bought the thing used and don't have manuals.

I'm running Windows XP Home (Service Pack 2 Build 2600)
The full system model is Compaq Presario X1000 DN585A#BA
The BIOS version is HP 68BAL F.33
I've got 512 MB of RAM
The sound device is SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio by Analog Devices, Inc.
The display is a Mobility Radeon 9200 with 64 MB of RAM

Reply 3 of 8, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A search for "Fantasy General" yields 747 hits. None of them excpet this thread actually are about how to run that game.

I've gotten the feeling from lloking around that dosbox is now the genreally preferred method for all games, but is that really true? Should I be looking at VDMS instead? Or something else? Or, since it ran in Windows 95, should I keep trying to get it to run in XP's Windows 95 compatability mode? That's what I tried beofre coming here.

Reply 4 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If Fantasy General is a DOS game then....

1. Compatibility mode does nothing for DOS games.
2. The Setup program works because setup programs are very simple and usually only use conventional memory while the main program/game will use XMS/Expanded/Extended/Conventional memory.
3. I found several Fantasy General threads in 10 seconds by searching for the key word "Fantasy".....
Here's one for instance: Fantasy General...running at last
4. NTVDM (Windows NT4/2000/XP) is not a supported environment for MS-DOS games. DosBox is a supported environment. Therefore DosBox is the best choice for running DOS games, (unless of course you have a DOS dual-boot or a second machine and then some games will run better that way).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good. You are on the right track, them.

Reading the FAQs section and Guidelines would be a good idea too. 😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 8, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Reading the FAQs section and Guidelines would be a good idea too. 😎

Does not my explanation of my ahrdware at the top of the thread indicate to you that perhaps I did?

In fact, the implication in the guidelaines that of course I must be running some kind of emulator was also part of what led me to the 2nd paragraph of my 3rd entry and eventually to just try Dosbox without waiting for an answer.

Was there something specific from the FAQs of Guidelines that you think I didn't take note of that I should?