dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-01-25, 14:11:
Games with 640x480 16colors on 286? can't remember these...
Pretty much all text adventures with graphics and simulations ran in 640x480@16c. Or higher. 😉
- That excludes the popular, less demanding Point&Click Adventures from Sierra/LucasArts, of course.
From what I remember, esp. Sierra On-Line used VMs for their Quest series that didn't even make full use of 320x200.
Games that made full use of 640x480 and higher resolutions :
(Edit: This is about commercial games. List incomplete.)
- Text adventures from the 80s ran in 80x25@16c mode, giving ~720x400 on VGA cards. 😉
- Adventures by Magnetic Scrolls used 640x350 (EGA) or 640x480.
The re-releases and later releases used 800x600 in 16c, too.
- Knights of Xentar used 640x480 and dithering effects.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/knig ... Id,769986/
- Frederik Pohls Gateway series used 640x350 (EGA) or 640x480, 800x600.
- Spellcasting series used 640x350 (EGA) or 640x480, maybe 800x600.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/spel ... the-girls/
- Eric the Unready used 640x350 (EGA) or 640x480, maybe 800x600
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/eric ... otId,9342/
- Shannara seems to use 640x,480, too, according to the dithering effects.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/shan ... Id,299422/
- Callahan's Crosstime Saloon seems to use 640x,480, too, according to the dithering effects.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/call ... Id,467116/
- Timequest used 640x350 (EGA) or 640x480, maybe 800x600.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/time ... Id,734054/
(^Most of these are Legend games..)
- Microsoft Flight Simulator series supported 640x350, 640x480 and higher.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/micr ... ulator-v50
- Sim Series (SimCity, SimEarth, SimAnts)
- Space M+A+X
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/spac ... Id,956322/
- Star Control 3 used 640x480 in 16c, or higher.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/star ... hotId,390/
(* Adventures also often silently supported CGA in 640x400, monochrome.)
Some games that I know which require 640x400 in 256c:
- Die Höhlenwelt Saga used 640x400 in 256c.
List of SVGA/VBE games:
https://www.mobygames.com/attribute/she ... p,2/so,0a/
"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel
//My video channel//