VOGONS

Best Soundcard for DOS games

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My suggestion would be to find an OEM Pentium I / II with ISA slot(s) for DOS games that require true SB. Good luck! 😀 Eventually one will pop up: even in Peru.

Reply 21 of 25, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree, try to find a P1 or p2 machine. This will solve a good portion of your woes by letting you use a real SB card.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 22 of 25, by Holering

User metadata

I'd be careful choosing a Yamaha. It is true it has genuine opl3 synth, but the Mobo compatibility is really lack luster and even the sblive is probably better. I suggest you choose the vortex 2 if you will play both windows and dos games (and don't care about opl3), or the ESS solo if you only care about DOS and want good opl3; ESS solo also has an sblink header if your mobo has one (I think it's removed on some solos).

Reply 23 of 25, by RetroGamingNovice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Also it's never a PCI card that's going to be recommended for DOS, so your computer is null and void for any "best DOS soundcard" since all the best ones are ISA.

I have a P2 board that has YMF715E onboard (AL440LX), technically on an ISA bus, that count? :p

PC hardware: Ryzen 5 4500, 32GB RAM, 1TB SN 570 Linux drive, 500GB 970 EVO Plus Windows drive, 2TB 970 EVO Plus games drive, 1TB 870 EVO extra storage drive, RX 6600 GPU, EndeavourOS/Win10 dual-boot

Reply 24 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Compaq en. When I tried to install a vortex 2 sound card in win 98se I got "not primary pci slot" I got this error in every pci slot. Installed a sb live! And it worked like a charm. I've had horrible results with installing vortex 2 cards. Particularly the diamond monster. Some PC ' it install fine but with many I find it causes windows to freeze up right after the desktop comes up. It seems to happen mostly with VIA chipsets.

Reply 25 of 25, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

I have a Compaq en. When I tried to install a vortex 2 sound card in win 98se I got "not primary pci slot" I got this error in every pci slot. Installed a sb live! And it worked like a charm. I've had horrible results with installing vortex 2 cards. Particularly the diamond monster. Some PC ' it install fine but with many I find it causes windows to freeze up right after the desktop comes up. It seems to happen mostly with VIA chipsets.

You just have to take a ; off of "detectprimarypcislot" or something like that to fix the Primary PCI slot issue in a installation ini. Should be easy enough to Google the correct wording.