VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Sound Setup:
- Sound Blaster Live! Value (SB16 emulation driver installed for use with certain games + general MIDI via external module)
- Sound Blaster 16 CT2800 (used for most other DOS games except for general MIDI)

The Problem
For the most part, all the games I've tested seem to work pretty well with my current configuration, except two: Bio Menace and Xargon. Both of which have very strange sound-related issues. I tell both games to use my SB16 by setting the BLASTER via the batch file field in the properties and I know the sound is coming from the SB16 because when I disconnect the aux bridging it to my SBLive!, it goes quiet as expected.

Bio Menace
It seems like the game will only detect sound blaster some of the time, and there's no consistent pattern. Like, these two scenarios seen below can happen one after another without any change of config.
mBTliXm.jpeg FRES4Aq.jpeg

Sometimes there will be a streak of it detecting it and sometimes a streak of it not, it's wildly inconsistent and I have no clue what could be causing it.

Xargon
For whatever reason, Xargon does this thing where like the music works perfectly fine, but only some of the sounds seem to work. For example, when I start the game, and get past the title graphic, I'll hear the menu open sound, but the sounds for switching between options isn't there. In-game, the only sounds that actually play are when I take damage. I've tried this with both the original version and using the patch from NewRisingSun, and they yield the same results.

The thing is, the games seem to behave mostly fine in pure DOS, but in Windows 98 they just act up for seemingly no reason. Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

(Moving this here from C:\Marvin, the Paranoid Android\Sound since this is a better place to ask about this I think)

Reply 1 of 4, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like a resource conflict, what's going on in your resource manager? Any conflicts identified? Are you using the same resources in Windows as you are in DOS?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 4, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2024-04-30, 00:19:

Sounds like a resource conflict, what's going on in your resource manager? Any conflicts identified? Are you using the same resources in Windows as you are in DOS?

I am using the same resources.

My SBLive! is configured like so:
A240 I5 D3 H7 P330 T6
And my SB16 is configured as:
A220 I7 D1 H5 P300 T6

I kind of relented on Xargon and have just been running it in DOS mode, since it seems to work consistently there with little to no issues.

Bio Menace on the other hand, turns out to have the exact same problem in DOS mode as it does running under Windows.

Reply 3 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The sound detection routine in Bio Menace is speed-sensitive and tend to fail with faster computers. The game also needs STACKS=9,256 (not STACKSHIGH) to be set in CONFIG.SYS which without it, the computer could be hardlocked just after dealing with the first enemy.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 4, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2024-04-30, 19:15:

The sound detection routine in Bio Menace is speed-sensitive and tend to fail with faster computers. The game also needs STACKS=9,256 (not STACKSHIGH) to be set in CONFIG.SYS which without it, the computer could be hardlocked just after dealing with the first enemy.

Yeah, that makes sense, because I did some experimenting with slowdown and I was getting much more consistent results with detection (though still not 100%), but the main problem with the slowdown utilities I've tested is that screen fading to/from black effects are very frequently affected, typically becoming slower and choppier than intended (though some games can handle it better with the right slowdown settings), and it's very much the case when I tested it with Bio Menace.