VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the same issue as mentioned in this old thread: Brent Inverson EA's Flight sims - Issues with 4 axis joysticks (LHX, CYAC, SU25)

The game have a JTUNER.EXE program to help calibrate (trim) your joystick. When you have a 4 axis joystick it seems that you need to select JOYSTICK 2, because if you select JOYSTICK 1, your normal X and Y axis won't work. Instead the hat switch and the Z axis will respond. Unfortunately the games do not allow you to select Joystick 1 or Joystick 2, so you're completely screwed

Was there ever a newer version of LHX that works with 4-axis joysticks (that is the case with Chuck Yeager which uses the same engine), or is there a way to force use of joystick 2 (or swap the axis)?

I don't own a 2-axis joystick. Currently using a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro for DOS gaming.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't you use a Gameport Y cable and a dummy DB-25 adapter to emulate a Joystick 1 to get around the issue? I'm pretty sure this can also be done in software if someone tried. It can definitely be done in emulation..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 6, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2024-04-25, 11:05:

Can't you use a Gameport Y cable and a dummy DB-25 adapter to emulate a Joystick 1 to get around the issue? I'm pretty sure this can also be done in software if someone tried. It can definitely be done in emulation..

Not sure I quite understand what you mean here. Could you elaborate?

Reply 4 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote on 2024-04-25, 13:02:
appiah4 wrote on 2024-04-25, 11:05:

Not sure I quite understand what you mean here. Could you elaborate?

You know these Y cables for game ports?

04002.jpg

We used to use them for playing multiplayer games. You could get one of these, and theoretically attach a DSUB with some kind of terminator in it to one end that would fool the system into thinking there is a joystick there. Then the 4-axis joystick would be detected as Joystick 2.

How that terminator could be done is beyond me but theoretically it will just have to make it look like a joystick is there, which shouldn't be too difficult.

Reply 5 of 6, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see what you mean, but I can't see how that will solve the problem. The game automatically selects Joystick 1 and that can't be overridden. The 4-axis joystick is detected as 2 joysticks, one for each for the axis, so then I'd figure the 4-axis joystick would be detected as joystick 2 and joystick 3.

Reply 6 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote on 2024-04-26, 11:45:

I see what you mean, but I can't see how that will solve the problem. The game automatically selects Joystick 1 and that can't be overridden. The 4-axis joystick is detected as 2 joysticks, one for each for the axis, so then I'd figure the 4-axis joystick would be detected as joystick 2 and joystick 3.

OH, I get it now! I'm sorry I completely misunderstood what you are saying *facepalm*