VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've noticed with Mortal Kombat II that when I use the DreamBlaster X2GS I get the power kit instead of the standard kit in-game. Using the DB50XG it defaults to the standard kit, even after a GS reset (GM mode doesn't do GS drum kits?). The power kit seems correct, going by the Sega Saturn music which was done by the same people.

It seems that kit no. 18 is selected which doesn't exist in both devices. Is it possible to force/patch this so that it selects the correct one?

YouTube

Reply 1 of 5, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rawit wrote on 2024-05-08, 07:55:

I've noticed with Mortal Kombat II that when I use the DreamBlaster X2GS I get the power kit instead of the standard kit in-game. Using the DB50XG it defaults to the standard kit, even after a GS reset (GM mode doesn't do GS drum kits?). The power kit seems correct, going by the Sega Saturn music which was done by the same people.

It seems that kit no. 18 is selected which doesn't exist in both devices. Is it possible to force/patch this so that it selects the correct one?

I'm not familiar with the game or these devices, but I would assume it's intending to hit patch 17, which is of course the Power Kit. I am going to guess and say that the DreamBlaster uses some sort of fallback, so all patches between 17-24 will trigger Power. XG doesn't do this and so will default to Standard if an invalid number is selected.

As for 'fixing' it, I would assume not.

Reply 3 of 5, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those are almost all Sierra games, which are decompiled and able to be patched. I doubt other game companies will be as easy.

A hex editor should allow you to find SysEx, although it could be a lot to look through. Google for what GM SysEx looks like.

Reply 4 of 5, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the sound folder there are music files for different devices going by the extentions (mid, gvs, awe, lap, sbl). Replacing deadp.mid with deadp.gvs (Gravis, GF1 patchset has 1 drumkit) results in a different instrument selection for the level The Deadpool but the weird drumkit is still selected. That seems to indicate it is being set by the game engine and not the music file in this case.

MIDI-OX shows this with SCC-1 selected:

00011D0F 1 3 C9 12 -- 10 --- PC: Drums

YouTube

Reply 5 of 5, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rawit wrote on 2024-05-09, 11:12:

In the sound folder there are music files for different devices going by the extentions (mid, gvs, awe, lap, sbl). Replacing deadp.mid with deadp.gvs (Gravis, GF1 patchset has 1 drumkit) results in a different instrument selection for the level The Deadpool but the weird drumkit is still selected. That seems to indicate it is being set by the game engine and not the music file in this case.

MIDI-OX shows this with SCC-1 selected:

00011D0F 1 3 C9 12 -- 10 --- PC: Drums

Yeah, no idea. I'd want to see the original MIDI file, but it doesn't seem to be present on the web anywhere.. only a fan sequenced version.

Maybe you can record it with DOSBox and upload it?

The other possibility is that the game engine doesn't support drumkits other than 000 (STANDARD) for drums. Sierra has this bug/feature in their games too.