VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is one possible reason why my 3d engine games (Descent, Descent 2, Terminator, etc.) do not work on my machine is because I have too much RAM? A DOS machine ususally should have only 64 MB RAM, if more than 64 MB, some games will just not run. My Pentium 200 has about 128 MB ram.
Should I remove 2 out of the 4 memory sticks to decrease the amount of RAM to 64 MB, or should I remove PC DOS 6.3 and install MS-DOS instead?

To satisify the guidelines...

AMD Pentium 200

128 MB RAM

Sound Blaster 16

PC DOS 6.3

Reply 1 of 9, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Certain versions of DOS4GW can only address 64MB so you have to ask why you have so much more than this in a DOS machine! It's also kinda amusing to read that you've 'about' 128MB as well 😀

Anyways V2.00 of DOS4GW should have fixed the crash issue when more than 64MB is present. The latest version of DOS4GW is V2.01 and I think there was a thread around with downloads to all the available versions. Also you may want to consider using the replacement extender DOS/32.

Best of luck!

Reply 2 of 9, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was right, I do have too much RAM!! THX for the help, now I might as well remove the 2 memory sticks, and I should be playing!
I don't want to bother with going to 2.01, but thx for all the help!