VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Leafs_rock98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys I'm new here, I was wondering if any of you could help me here. I can't figure out how to get NHL '96 to run on my PC. It's a Pentium 3 with 900 mhz with a nVidia TNT 2... Think you could help me?

Reply 2 of 14, by Leafs_rock98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK actually I just re-installed it and it runs fine- with two exceptions. One, there's no sound, and two, I can't see the NHL and NHLPA logos at the start, or the video at the start. I'm not sure what sound card I have, the first time I chose "auto detect" it started making this scratching noise in the speakers, and when I tried to go back, it froze and I had to restart. The second time I chose Sound Blaster Pro, and when I went to "Test" it worked fine, but in the game it didn't work...? As for why I can't see the video, I have no idea...

Reply 6 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Read the forums. There are categorized sections.

Learn about DOSBox here: DOSBox homepage

In short:

Excerpt from DOSBox FAQ wrote:

DOSBox emulates an Intel x86 PC, complete with sound, graphics, mouse, modem, etc., necessary for running many old DOS games that simply cannot be run on modern PCs and operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, Linux and FreeBSD. However, it is not restricted to running only games. In theory, any DOS application should run in DOSBox, but the emphasis has been on getting DOS games to run smoothly, which means that communication, networking and printer support are still in early developement.

You should start by reading the whole FAQ.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 14, by Leafs_rock98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK- But I'd rather just run it on DOS... D you have any idea what could be wrong, and could I fix it without having to use DOSBox?

Reply 8 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this the PC with Windows ME? If so then what kind of sound card is it using? I don't have much experience with playing DOS games in Windows ME, just under the DOS 7.x prompt. So you may want to try the ME DOS hack to get into real DOS and then try the game from there. Depending on your sound card you may have to load sound card emulation drivers....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 14, by Leafs_rock98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

C-Media PCI Audio Legacy Device, I think basically it's a piece of trash... 😠 And yes, this is the PC with ME. How do you get into "real DOS"? I think I'm just using a DOS command prompt, or whatever that window that pops up when you click on it is called...

Reply 10 of 14, by Leafs_rock98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I installed it, I choes Sound Blaster Pro and when I tested it it worked fine, but in the game it wouldn't... Maybe I have to get a Sound Blaster Pro emulator?

Reply 11 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When running DOS games in Win95/98/ME, the OS doesn't emulate DOS sound functions unless such functionality is built into the drivers (or if the hardware is directly compatible with old DOS sound cards). You can try to get the experimental Win9x port of VDMSound to work, but you'd probably be better off getting DOS drivers for that card and booting into pure DOS.

Reply 12 of 14, by Leafs_rock98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would I need to make DOS boot disk for that? I did a very long time ago to run Darklands, and it wasn't a lot of fun, to say the least... But I wouldn't have to do that- Or would I? How would I go about booting into pure DOS? In '98 you could go to "Restart in MS-DOS mode", but you can't in ME...

Reply 14 of 14, by Leafs_rock98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OOOKKAAYYY... Now it works fine, but only after I allowed the whole starting sequence to run. It works perfect except for the NHL and NHLPA logos. Wierd, huh? The resolution on the starting video (and in the game itself) isn't nearly as good as I used to get with my Voodoo Rush card, but hey at least it runs...