VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fezzik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've seen other threads related to this game (Ascendancy by The Logic Factory), but they all seemed to be addressing issues with the VESA Linear Frame Buffer. i.e. people get sound, but no picture.

My problem is the exact opposite. For whatever reason (WinXP with SP1a installed perhaps) I have no problem with the video and I'm not using LFB or any similar program to disable the frame buffer. However I get no sound. In the game's sound setup program (using VDMS) I can set the sound card driver to use "Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32" and it correctly detects the hardware. I create a VDMS shortcut for the game and run it, but I get no sound. And no errors when I output a full log file.

Any help would be much appreciated. I can post excerpts from that logfile if it would be beneficial.

details:
Ascendancy v1.6
WinXP (SP1a)
VDMSound v2.0.4 (w/ update, i guess that means 2.0.4.1)

Thanks

Reply 1 of 1, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would start with the most basic SoundBlaster option available. Try plain SoundBlaster (SoundBlaster or Compatible, if the option is there) in the game's setup. Also, try using XP's native emulation as well (uses IRQ 5).

If either of those work, go up to next step in SoundBlaster model and try again, etc...