VOGONS

Common searches

Starflight II

Topic actions

First post, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've been trying to get "Starflight 2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula" running properly under win2K for quite some time now. The one issue that persists is a weird problem involving keyboard input... if I want a keypress to register I have to press it 2 or 3 times - very annoying and I'd rather not have to play through the entire game mashing keys like that. This happens in a normal 2K console window as well as when using VDMSound. DOSbox can't quite run the game because of some obscure error.

Anyone have any insight on this input issue? I have a 1.2GHz Athlon machine, is the excessive speed causing a problem? I tried a zillion different settings using the latest the latest version of SPEEDSET in conjunction with the VDMS launchpad, and while the results vary slightly the problem is still very much there.

Reply 1 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure what to tell you, I can't even get it to start up properly. Always crashes with some kind of memory corruption error. This is running on a Celeron 1.7 GHz.

DosBox will let it start up, but then dies with an "unsupported" error. Meaning it may be a long while before it runs on DosBox.

I do know the Amiga version runs fine under emulation, graphics are also enhanced in general (although I think the portraits were probably a bit better on the PC version).

Reply 2 of 29, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hmm, crashed for you in win2K? I'm using the version that can be found on the underdogs at:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=2087

Interestingly, i tried running the game in win98 on my living room machine last night, and it worked perfectly with no keyboard silliness. looks like it's an NT kernel OS issue.

Reply 3 of 29, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember getting the Underdogs version working, but maybe not under WinXP. I do, however, recall that I couldn't engage in ship-to-ship communications - presumably due to my computer being too fast/new (PII-450 when the game was meant to run on a 286 or possibly even lower).

Reply 7 of 29, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quick update: I haven't played all the way through the game yet, but it appears to work perfectly in 2K/XP if you A) play with CAPSLOCK on to eliminate the keyboard problem, and B) use VDMSound launcher with speedset to slow things down enough that aliens will respond to your communications. On a ~1GHz machine a good speedset value to use is -20.

Hooray! Also, once the weird bug that made DOSbox crash playing the game is fixed, it will be playable there as well. But for now capslock + VDMS is a good way to get the game working.

Reply 8 of 29, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey thanks for that update - great news that SPEEDSET lets you communicate with aliens! That was what was keeping me from being able to play it ever since I got this PII-450 I have.

Reply 9 of 29, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hooray! Also, once the weird bug that made DOSbox crash playing the game is fixed, it will be playable there as well.

Well it seems to run fine in my codebase
It has the same problem as Starflight 1:dosbox can't save the game.
I'm still figuring that one out

And it's programmed as unfriendly as the number one 🙁

so it will prob run in the next version of DOSBox

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix And it's programmed as unfriendly as the number one

Honestly, it seems like a lot less grief to emulate the Amiga version. Especially for Starflight I.

Reply 13 of 29, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know if it's allowed to post links to stuff like that (*waits for nasty message from moderators*), but I was able to find them on http://www.abandonkeep.com/

I haven't tried 'em yet though, as I plan to get a new version of WinUAE first, and setting it up is always complicated since I know nothing of Amigas 😉

Reply 14 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ I haven't tried 'em yet though, as I plan to get a new version of WinUAE first, and setting it up is always complicated since I know nothing of Amigas

It was definitely different. Based around NTSC instead of using the PC format of video (including things like Overscan). Had it's own advantages and disadvantages.

The downside for emulation is that, like the PC, there are so many variables, you can get lost in all of the settings.

Some quick settings for SF2:
640x400 Resolution
Use NTSC Video setting
Use Horizontal and Video Centering
Used "Doubled" Line mode

IIRC, it doesn't like advanced Kickstarts or processors
(IE: 68040 or Kickstart 3.0)

Attachments

• sf2-amiga.png
    Filename
    sf2-amiga.png
    File size
    23.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 29, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks Nicht I managed to get them both working. I don't like most of the changes they made from the PC versions, even though the graphics and sound are arguably better. I think if I get a Starflight itch, I'll try getting the PC versions running or else keep playing Protostar (which seems to run great so far).

Reply 17 of 29, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The starflight games were a bit tricky.
But with the current cvs both 1 and 2 work fine!

But till there is a new release keep playing that nice amiga version.

Qbix

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!