VOGONS

Common searches

System Shock SVGA problems

Topic actions

First post, by acroig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After all this time some kind soul was able to make System Shock run from Win 2K. Now, although I followed all the steps, I cannot seem to get SVGA modes in either of my system (An XP with a Radeon 9700 Pro and a P4 with a GF4 4600)

I tried the NOLFB.com in a batch file command and nothing. Then I tried SciTech Univeb.exe and that gave me access to SVGA in the Radeon machine, only to go to a blank screen upon changing modes.

Any thoughts?

Further, I downloaded the DOS4GW.exe which expands into several exe files, how do I use them in a batch file, by say 1_9.exe? or do I rename 1_9.exe DOS4GW.exe?

Thanks to all.

Reply 1 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by acroig I cannot seem to get SVGA modes in either of my system (An XP with a Radeon 9700 Pro and a P4 with a GF4 4600)

IIRC, the Radeon cards have the reverse of the problem that GeForce cards have... proper VESA support in XP, but it won't work properly if you use NOLFB with them. Do 640x400 and 640x480 work without using NOLFB?

Further, I downloaded the DOS4GW.exe which expands into several exe files, how do I use them in a batch file, by say 1_9.exe? or do I rename 1_9.exe DOS4GW.exe?

Yes. Rename it to plain DOS4GW.EXE, place it in your game's directory, and create a batch script with something like this:

DOS4GW.EXE cdshock.exe

Presuming you are running the CD version.

Reply 2 of 34, by acroig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately the higher res modes only come up if I use Univeb.exe, and then it looks like it's taking it out of my monitor's refresh, which it's rare. I'm sure my monitor ca do 120Hrz in 640 mode.

Will try your suggestion for DOS$GW.

Thanks!

Reply 4 of 34, by Nytegard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I had a similar problem, and solved it after searching these forums.

Apparently, NoLFP wouldn't work if I ran the command prompt in a windowed mode, or if I just ran the batch file.

I had to open up the command prompt, put it in full screen mode, find the directory, then run the batch file from the command prompt. Everything worked then. Only problem is the game crashes after a minute or two.

Reply 6 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by acroig BTW, which version of DOS4GW do you use? 1.9?

Actually, I haven't needed to use "DOS4GW trick". Not sure why this is..

As for which version, all other things being equal, I would you use the highest version #. If that doesn't work for you try the others...

Reply 7 of 34, by acroig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks again. I'm still having problems with SVGA. The Radeon 9700 Pro does not display the higher resolutions and neither does the GF4 Ti4600. I tried a calling NOLFB from a full DOS window and nothing. How are you guys able to get the higher res modes??

Reply 8 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by acroig Thanks again. I'm still having problems with SVGA. The Radeon 9700 Pro does not display the higher resolutions and neither does the GF4 Ti4600.

I'm not sure about the Radeon, but IIRC the GF4 can't go any higher than 640x480 for DOS titles using NOLFB.

I tried a calling NOLFB from a full DOS window and nothing.

Every command prompt/window is like a "virtual DOS PC". If you run NOLFB in one, it will only be present for that command prompt. It does not actually stay in your PC's general memory (which means any other command prompts/windows will not have access to it).

How are you guys able to get the higher res modes??

showthread.php?threadid=726

Read the "System Shock" entry, specifically the info under Solution - 2000/XP Only (so far). Note that you can also do this with the original game executable, by using the LaunchPad and placing the needed NOLFB info into the game's VLP shortcut.

Reply 9 of 34, by acroig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

640x480 is my goal. After reading the other thread I'm still stumped. The only difference is that I put the NOLFB files in the SSHOCK directory and I'm calling it directly from there. Should these files be somewhere else?

I ca see that the NOLFB TSR is loaded because I can read it on the screen when I call it, i.e.

C:\sshock\nolfb.com, enter
C:\sshock\cdshock.exe, enter

This still does not give me access to 640 in the GF4 nor in the Radeon.

HEEEELLLLPPP!!! 😀

Reply 10 of 34, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you running in FULLSCREEN before executing the game? Didn't matter in my case nor should it matter in yours but you never know....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by acroig HEEEELLLLPPP!!!

Ok, go back to square one. Forget VESA resolutions, forget audio, forget any "slow-mouse" fixes, etc...

Run the install program and choose no sound and no music.
Remove NOLFB from the startup. Try running CDSHOCK. Does it run normally? Try the "plain" System Shock install and see if it works properly (SSHOCK.BAT).

Reply 13 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by acroig Ok, I'll try the original exe to see if I can get SVGA that way

Argh! No! FORGET VESA (as in forget SVGA). That means running it in the lowest resolution possible. You need to get to the point of a properly functioning game first. Then, if successful, audio. Then, if successful, VESA (SVGA). One step at a time.

Reply 14 of 34, by acroig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I got cha now. I spent about an hour with the game until it crashed to the desktop for no apparent reason. I've read others having this same problem. I'm beginning to think that it might be easier to build a DOS machine with 6.22. 😁

Reply 15 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by acroig I spent about an hour with the game until it crashed to the desktop for no apparent reason. I've read others having this same problem.

You mean it ran properly for an hour?

I'm beginning to think that it might be easier to build a DOS machine with 6.22.

It might...or it might open up a whole new world of compatibility issues. You'll still be dealing with DOS issues, but you might also have to deal with things like ISA vs. PCI soundcards, "base-memory" requirements, memory management, etc...

Reply 16 of 34, by acroig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahh, the good ol' days 😀 When breaking above 600k of base memory was a feat! Yes, it ran for an hour before it dumped me to the desktop, or more accurately, to the DOS window.

I still have a 300a and an ABIT BH6 not doing anything, a SoundBlaster 16 SCSI-2 ISA card, and a Stealth 64 DRAM!!

Throw DOS 6.22 and......

Welcome back to 1994! 😁

Reply 17 of 34, by acroig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

God I hate to admit I'm a dork in public but..... I'M A DORK!! The reason NOLFB.COM was "not working" was because I was not using ALT ENTER to maximize the DOS box!!!

May my 'mea culpa' be of use to other noobs like me!! 😁

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Now, where is that mouse speed file at?

Reply 18 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by acroig Ahh, the good ol' days When breaking above 600k of base memory was a feat!

I remember... *shudder*

Yes, it ran for an hour before it dumped me to the desktop,...

You might want to settle for that and use a save slot for "emergency recovery". I went back to Win98 and found that soundcard issues drove me back to XP.

I still have a 300a and an ABIT BH6 not doing anything, a SoundBlaster 16 SCSI-2 ISA card, and a Stealth 64 DRAM!!

That, actually is very close to my test rig and is probably the closest to an ideal "Old-DOS" rig (still has enough power to drive BUILD games).

... I was not using ALT ENTER to maximize the DOS box!!!

Well at least you figured it out.

Now, where is that mouse speed file at?

Mouse2KV