VOGONS

Common searches

System Shock SVGA problems

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 34, by Nytegard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this is line I added that I finally got to have everything work. Haven't played System Shock for more than an hour at a time. Those older games just give me headaches.

C:\sshock\MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8 C:\SSHOCK\dos4gw.exe cdshock.exe

Reply 23 of 34, by acroig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It tried it this way and it worked "MOUSE2KV.EXE XRES YRES XMULTI YMULTI DOS4GW.EXE PROGRAM.EXE" Lucky guess.

I used the DOS4GW.EXE that is linked in the Syndicate Wars thread here.

showthread.php?s=&threadid=418&highlight=DOS4Gw.exe

The link that aka_mikey_m points to.

It kept locking up in seconds without that specific DOS4GW.EXE.

Reply 24 of 34, by acroig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For the sake of completeness I want to point out that if I move the mouse in the main menu when using mouse2kv.exe the game will crash. Set up a game or load an old one using the arrow keys. Use the mouse in game only! This may happen only at higher resolutions only, I'm happily playing at 640x480, finally! 😁

Reply 25 of 34, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's DOS4GW version 1.97.

VOGONS has a (almost complete) archive of DOS4GW, and includes the latest version, 2.01a.
showthread.php?threadid=214

Keep in mind that sometimes games/programs work better with newer versions, sometimes with older versions.

What would be great would be if someone (Mok?) wrote a program that could replace ALL major DOS extenders, that was both DPMI 0.9 and 1.0 compliant (if possible?) and that was DEFINITELY Windows 2000/XP happy. A Good Project, IMHO.

Ooh - it could maybe automatically detect executables that have been compiled with specific extenders and cut them off, to attach the new one!

Reply 27 of 34, by acroig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I've been playing happily at 640x480 for two days now without any incident. This game is soooo good. It grabs you and oes not let go!

To everyone who has not played it, give it a try, you won't be dissapointed. The greaphics are great considering they are not accelerated.

Thanks to all who helped me replay this classic.

Reply 28 of 34, by Mok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Schadenfreude wrote:

What would be great would be if someone (Mok?) wrote a program that could replace ALL major DOS extenders, that was both DPMI 0.9 and 1.0 compliant (if possible?) and that was DEFINITELY Windows 2000/XP happy. A Good Project, IMHO.

Ooh - it could maybe automatically detect executables that have been compiled with specific extenders and cut them off, to attach the new one!

Hmm... what's wrong with the existing programs then? When I forgot to replace back the Dos4gw extender in the patched System Shock executable, I though somebody will just replace it and post a new link here... now it seems, I was wrong.

I'm using PMWBind.exe from PMODE/W package. It works fine under XP. It allows replacing the extender, it works with all major extenders. I often switch them, as they give different results and some games work better with different extender than the original one. I use:
- dos4gw in various versions (you need to bind the stub, not the extender executable),
- dos4g pro,
- causeway
- dos32a
- pmode/w
- zurenava
there are surely other extenders worth a try...

Just download pmode/w 1.33 package and then (backup the executable first!) for example:
pmwbind /r /sZRDX.exe /wOLDSTUB.exe GAME.exe - will replace the original extender with a zurenava extender and store old stub/extender to oldstub.exe

-Mok

Reply 29 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mok When I forgot to replace back the Dos4gw extender in the patched System Shock executable, I though somebody will just replace it and post a new link here... now it seems, I was wrong.

Well understand that most people here probably don't do much in the way of compiling. Personally, I'm still traumatized by a horrible COBOL experience at a community college and I'm still uncomfortable with whole programming/compiling thing.

For some others, 'compile' is just a pile of COMs.

Reply 31 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mok Who said anything about compiling?

Ok, I guess I'm guilty of not properly reading the post. I didn't think the executable could be patched like that. I figured changing a dos-extender would "break" the executable.

Reply 32 of 34, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mok wrote:
Hmm... what's wrong with the existing programs then? When I forgot to replace back the Dos4gw extender in the patched System Sho […]
Show full quote

Hmm... what's wrong with the existing programs then? When I forgot to replace back the Dos4gw extender in the patched System Shock executable, I though somebody will just replace it and post a new link here... now it seems, I was wrong.

I'm using PMWBind.exe from PMODE/W package. It works fine under XP. It allows replacing the extender, it works with all major extenders. I often switch them, as they give different results and some games work better with different extender than the original one. I use:
- dos4gw in various versions (you need to bind the stub, not the extender executable),
- dos4g pro,
- causeway
- dos32a
- pmode/w
- zurenava
there are surely other extenders worth a try...

Just download pmode/w 1.33 package and then (backup the executable first!) for example:
pmwbind /r /sZRDX.exe /wOLDSTUB.exe GAME.exe - will replace the original extender with a zurenava extender and store old stub/extender to oldstub.exe

Yes, I know this. Surely, though, if one extender works better than another, this should be kept track of somewhere. It would be interesting to see what problems a different extender might fix, or might cause. Your notes would be useful at some point (in a different thread?)