Common searches

Hyperspeed

Topic actions

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone been able to get Hyperspeed working under WinXP? I was able to get it to run with VDMSound 2.0.4+update1+launchpad by disabling everything related to memory except for HIMEM.SYS (inlcuding disabling Allow DOS to use UMBs). The only problem is that is gives some kind of out of memory error when I use my spindrive to warp to the base after the initial combat encounter. The game requires an extreme amount of free conventional memory to run because it was made with 286s in mind - before things like XMS and EMS were around.

Would DOSBox fare any better perhaps?

Reply 1 of 39, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ The game requires an extreme amount of free conventional memory to run...

I dont suppose setting the conventional memory on the EXE's shortcut to 640 helps?

Would DOSBox fare any better perhaps?

Give it a try. You can disable EMS and XMS memory in the configuration file.

Reply 2 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I dont suppose setting the conventional memory on the EXE's shortcut to 640 helps?

I don't know how to do that in conjunction with LauchPad. Do I point LaunchPad at the .PIF instead of the .EXE or something?

Give it a try. You can disable EMS and XMS memory in the configuration file.

Tried it on DOSBox 0.57. The game runs but locks up when I get to the doc check screen (I'm using the Neverlock loader). This doesn't happen in XP's NTVDM+VDMSound. DOSBox 0.57 is garbage anyways though - the sound is all choppy because they removed the multithreading. Maybe they'll release another build someday - I'm too lazy to learn about CVS just so I can bang my head trying to compile the lastest code in MSVC++. Oh well :p

Last edited by HunterZ on 2003-02-15, 01:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 39, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ I don't know how to do that in conjunction with LauchPad. Do I point LaunchPad at the .PIF instead of the .EXE or something?

I apparently goofed on that one. I was thinking that whenever you ran the executable, it would call up the PIF and apply those settings. Apparently not (I set a pif for a dos-tool to have only 400k mem, but it still reported 655K).

Tried it on DOSBox 0.57. The game runs but locks up when I get to the doc check screen

Hrmm. Too bad.

DOSBox 0.57 is garbage anyways though - the sound is all choppy because they removed the multithreading.

Two things to remember:
1) Edit your dosbox.conf file and change the "keepsmall" setting to "true". The double-sized window wreaks havoc with audio.

2) It's small, so there's nothing keeping you from having multiple copies/versions at hand. If 0.57 doesn't work, try 0.56., then 0.55, etc...

In any case I suspect your initial memory problem is a bug or compatibility issue as the NTVDM seems to have plenty of base memory.

Reply 4 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

1) Edit your dosbox.conf file and change the "keepsmall" setting to "true". The double-sized window wreaks havoc with audio.

Yeah I read about that on the forum... Unfortunately it doesn't improve things significantly.

2) It's small, so there's nothing keeping you from having multiple copies/versions at hand. If 0.57 doesn't work, try 0.56., then 0.55, etc...

I suppose, but I have this thing about having to use the newest version 😁

In any case I suspect your initial memory problem is a bug or compatibility issue as the NTVDM seems to have plenty of base memory.

Yeah the thought crossed my mind too, although it doesnt take turning many options back on for the game to say that it can't load due to too little conventional memory. I don't know how I ever managed to get it to run on my 286 back in the day - I must have used a boot disk or something.

Reply 5 of 39, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hit Alt+Enter to put it in full-screen. That will solve the audio problem for the most part. However, on my 450MHz Celeron, once I started getting up into and over 3000 cycles the audio started jumping.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 39, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
quote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut 1) […]
Show full quote

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I read about that on the forum... Unfortunately it doesn't improve things significantly.

Slow pc eh ?
Will increase frameskip (ctrl-F8)
Will solve the problem

If You want the latest source:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cvstarballs/dosbox-cvsroot.tar.gz

It's a nightly build cvs source tree.
I have no idea what's in it and we don't offer support for it.

Qbix

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 12 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strangely enough, increasing the frameskip also had no effect on the choppiness of the sound emulation. I think the current official release of DOSbox just REALLY doesn't get along well with my PII-450. I'll have to try the CVS - I hope it's easy to compile with MSVC++ because I don't know jack about building complex native Win32 apps.

Reply 13 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well. *sigh* I went to the trouble of compiling the DosBox CVS. First I had to get a CVS tool because I wasted a bunch of time trying to uncompress the tarball using WinAce and tar/gzip, only to get a big mess of files ending in ,v due to something weird with SourceForge. Then, I had to get a bunch of libraries that DosBox needed but didn't include. Once I finally built it, it ran just as horribly as the release version of 0.57. I also tried increasing the frameskip and lowering the cycle count as people have suggested, but it has no effect on the choppiness of the adlib sound in Hyperspeed. I guess the multithreaded code is still disabled in the CVS, despite everyone's claims to the contrary?

I should also mention that I upgraded to a PIII-550, so I had high hopes for a significant improvement in DosBox's performance, but I was apparently wrong. What a frustrating mess.

Reply 14 of 39, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

oh it's really enabled
But it doesn't fix all problems offcourse

I think your private build is just slower that the release builds so the gain of multithreading is done in vain for your version.

I think the debug0.57.3 version might run the game
Anybody care to try ? 😉

Reply 15 of 39, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't have Hyperspeed to test so maybe someone else can try it with DosBox 0.573

Attachments

• Filename
    install-debug-0573.exe
    File size
    809.3 KiB
    Downloads
    293 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 39, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think the plain exe is a bit useless.
the libmmd.dll is needed and quite rare.

Reply 17 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got Hyperspeed from Abandonkeep, but I had to use a Neverlock loader to get past the doc check because my manual is packed away in a box somewhere. I'll try that version of DOSbox when I get home today if I remember to.

Reply 19 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Don't have Hyperspeed to test so maybe someone else can try it with DosBox 0.573

Nope, there was a noticeable improvement, but the adlib music and graphics were still too slow and stuttery to make the game playable. Increasing the frameskip, lowering cpu cycles, and going fullscreen still have NO effect whatsoever on the choppiness/slowness of the emulataion.