VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by EnyGmaTiK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i first want to congratule this fine forum, by his quality and by the chance that u are giving old games to be played again.

my specs:

AMD Athlon 1333Ghz
512mb PC133
Maxtor 40Gb 7200 ATA100
Seagate 1Gb
Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Player
Asus A7700 Geforce 2 GTS 64mb
ASUS A7V133 Mobo
Windows XP SP1

i have the maxtor in NTFS [windows XP] and i have the Seagate in FAT32.

In the Seagate i only have the DOS games and the drivers i need for my specs...
When i want to play any DOS games, i reboot with a boot disk, (being my default c: the maxtor in NTFS this is not recognized) so my Seagate becames c: in DOS mode (he is h: in XP).
I can play all games flawlessly. i only have 1 issue, i can only set my sound options to 8 bits, in 16 it gaves me an error about wrong 16-bit DMA...

Here is the file u need including an image of the boot disk (the txt is in portuguese... sorry about that, but don't wanted to mess around in someones credit 😜 but the info isn't that important to the use of this thingy)

http://up.clanhosted.com/stuff/dos2000.zip

enjoy 😀

Reply 1 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure, but it's possible that the SB Live DOS drivers emulate the SBPro and not the SB16. Did you try selecting the Ensoniq Soundscape instead of SB16 in the DOS games you are running? You also might try installing VDMSound in WinXP and running the games from inside WinXP - you'll get nice sound and music emulation.

Reply 2 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm fairly certain that the SBLive! drivers did only emulate the 8-bit DMA, which is unfortunate, to be certain, but I think that might be something you have to live with. Of course I've been wrong before, so perhaps not. Hi-DMA should be "5"... pretty much always.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 12, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gatticus wrote:

How do youy use this file dos 2000?
Thanks

It has files on to make a boot disk with mouse, CDRom and SBLive support.

The poster asked if we could solve his 16-bit DMA problem.

Not sure what the confusion is...

Reply 6 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by EnyGmaTiK Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Windows XP SP1 […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by EnyGmaTiK Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Windows XP SP1

I can play all games flawlessly. i only have 1 issue, i can only set my sound options to 8 bits, in 16 it gaves me an error about wrong 16-bit DMA...

I'm certain that there was SB16 emulation within Windows, but that when running in "true" DOS, I think it only emulates 8-bit sound cards. Can't confirm because I no longer have the card.

The Live card "DOS" drivers were only meant to be run in the "true" DOS mode of Win9x, so I'm surprised it would work at all with any other form of DOS.

Reply 7 of 12, by EnyGmaTiK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gatticus wrote:

How do youy use this file dos 2000?
Thanks

unzip the folder DOS to the root of the drive u are using.. must be in FAT, and then with a boot disk, which is also supplied in the zip [it's an image which can be converted with Win Image] boot the system.

Snover: I tried 5 for hi-dma... didn't work... matter of fact, i tried all the available options [5 - 7 - 9?] none work 🙁

'You also might try installing VDMSound in WinXP and running the games from inside WinXP - you'll get nice sound and music emulation.'

No it doesn't try to run SW or Duke3d and so many more... and you i'll see 😉

Reply 8 of 12, by EnyGmaTiK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I'm certain that there was SB16 emulation within Windows, but that when running in "true" DOS, I think it only emulates 8-bit video cards. Can't confirm because I no longer have the card.

The Live card "DOS" drivers were only meant to be run in the "true" DOS mode of Win9x, so I'm surprised it would work at all with any other form of DOS.

actually it gave me an IRQ error ... conflict between the IRQ of the sound card with the PCI IRQ, so i just switched the IRQ 9 (which is from the soundcard) manually.

Reply 9 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by EnyGmaTiK No it doesn't try to run SW or Duke3d and so many more... and you i'll see

Yes those are Problem Children for 2000 and XP. Fortunately, Duke already has experimental Win32 ports (and should be pretty stable soon).

Reply 11 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by EnyGmaTiK yes i know... i just ran one, very nice

Just understand that they are only in the earliest stages. Most Duke ports still have some serious bugs, and we may not ever see a "Shadow Warrior" port unless someone adds on the "unique" features (like "room-over-room" support) that "Shadow Warrior" needs to function.

Reply 12 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try selecting Ensoniq Soundscape instead of SB16 in those DOS games? I might be remembering wrong, but you might be able to get 16-bit sound that way.